Take advantage of warm weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take advantage of warm weather

Nothing is easier in warm weather than to eat fresh, raw vegetables. You can eat entire meals that are made up of large piles of leafy greens with tomatoes, carrots, avocado, bell pepper, chickpeas, and whatever else appeals to you from the veggie aisle. These foods taste great at this time of year and make you feel good, too.

So now is the time to dive into eating healthy (and preferably organic) so that you can lose weight in the fastest and healthiest way because it’s easier for you. It’s not like in winter when you want something heavy. Honor your natural feelings and instincts by giving yourself the food energy you actually want.

That's a good point. I just made myself a huge salad. I did put a bit of low fat cheese on it but it tasted so good even though it was almost all veggies. I didn't even put salad dressing on it. The veggies are so fresh that I didn't need it (and the cheese gave me the fat for absorbing the nutrients and all that). Great advice, EnviroTodd.

Comment

Good advice enviroTodd. It is true. When the weather is warmer I crave foods like vegetables and fruits a lot more than I do in the winter time when I could go for stuff that is higher in fat. I also find I like fish more in the summer too.

Comment

Good idea. It is a lot easier to avoid bad foods when the weather is hot. That said, watch your intake of sweet and fruity beverages, especially alcohol cocktails. You may feel like beating the heat by drinking a lot of cocktails but this is only a lot of sugar and a lot of calories. Still be smart about your food choices!!

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
          Good idea. It is a lot easier to avoid bad foods when the weather is hot. That said, watch your intake of sweet and fruity beverages, especially alcohol cocktails. You may feel like beating the heat by drinking a lot of cocktails but this is only a lot of sugar and a lot of calories. Still be smart about your food choices!!

Ya summer cocktails. They are completely my downfall. That and ice cream!!! I wish I was like other people and craved vegetables. I just sort of want fatty stuff all year long. No matter the weather

Comment

So true envirotodd! There r so many great things 2 eat in the summer when it is warm. There is nothing like fresh fruits & veggies in the summer months. I get hungry just thinking about it! Have u ever tried avocado & crab salad? Oh its so tasty. I also really like cutting up avocado in salad along with fresh mango & pine nuts. There are so many ways 2 make great salads & other foods with fresh stuff. & yes organic is best!

Comment

Originally posted by Bethie View Post
              That's a good point. I just made myself a huge salad. I did put a bit of low fat cheese on it but it tasted so good even though it was almost all veggies. I didn't even put salad dressing on it. The veggies are so fresh that I didn't need it (and the cheese gave me the fat for absorbing the nutrients and all that). Great advice, EnviroTodd.

Ya, sometimes he gives good advice

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post
                Don't worry Speeddemon, you'll have your chance to give someone some good advice one day

SuzieQ if you are finding that summer cocktails and ice cream are your main problems then all you need to do is find some lower cal alternatives that will allow you to enjoy the same pleasures but without the negative energies that they infuse into your body.

For example, when making fresh cocktails, using ice and fresh fruit instead of a mix will allow you to save a great deal on calories from sugars and it will also help you to keep your sodium down. Those mixes are shockingly high in sodium. If you use fresh fruits like strawberries and bananas, you'll also be using a cocktail to give yourself a little bit of a boost in nutrients. While I still wouldn't call it a healthy snack, it's better to get the antioxidants from strawberries and potassium from bananas then just artificial flavors from a powder or a frozen mix.

In the case of ice cream, just take some frozen berries and toss them in the blender with a very small amount of yogurt and about an ounce of a fresh juice (unsweetened). Blend until you have a frozen yogurt/sorbet and you'll get your sweet treat that tastes amazing without all of the added nonsense. You can even make it without the yogurt if you want to lighten things up even more. There are always better alternatives so you don't have to worry about that anymore.

Comment

That's a smart tip. It's a lot easier to make healthier food choices in the summer. Thanks for the good tip envirotodd. I can imagine that you grow all of your vegetables in your backyard. You seem like the type who would have a green thumb

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post
                    Don't worry Speeddemon, you'll have your chance to give someone some good advice one day

SuzieQ if you are finding that summer cocktails and ice cream are your main problems then all you need to do is find some lower cal alternatives that will allow you to enjoy the same pleasures but without the negative energies that they infuse into your body.

For example, when making fresh cocktails, using ice and fresh fruit instead of a mix will allow you to save a great deal on calories from sugars and it will also help you to keep your sodium down. Those mixes are shockingly high in sodium. If you use fresh fruits like strawberries and bananas, you'll also be using a cocktail to give yourself a little bit of a boost in nutrients. While I still wouldn't call it a healthy snack, it's better to get the antioxidants from strawberries and potassium from bananas then just artificial flavors from a powder or a frozen mix.

In the case of ice cream, just take some frozen berries and toss them in the blender with a very small amount of yogurt and about an ounce of a fresh juice (unsweetened). Blend until you have a frozen yogurt/sorbet and you'll get your sweet treat that tastes amazing without all of the added nonsense. You can even make it without the yogurt if you want to lighten things up even more. There are always better alternatives so you don't have to worry about that anymore.

enviroTodd i never thought about making icecream using yogurt & frozen berries and fruit juice!! That is amazing. I know what im making 2nite

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post

HAHAHA! You just put a smile on my face eT!

Comment

What can I say, BabyButtons inspired me to say something generous to you, SD.

Comment

Working...
                        X