Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can chewing gum help you to avoid snacking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can chewing gum help you to avoid snacking?

When it comes to losing weight and controlling how much food you eat, does chewing gum help or hinder your progress?

It can help you, especially if you are physically inactive, such as sitting in front of your computer or in front of the tv and the desire to snack is strong. That said, chewing gum isn't great for your teeth and it can lead to trapped gas which can be uncomfortable. Honestly, I don't see anything really wrong with the idea. Why don't you try it out and see what happens.

Comment

Most studies show that it doesn't make too much of a difference, but the ones that were the most successful were the ones that chewed gum with a minty flavor instead of one that had a fruit flavor, for example. So don't think that chewing bubble gum or strawberry gum will help you. It will only make you crave sweets.

Unfortunately, there are drawbacks to chewing gum. ChristySmiles pointed out that it's not good for your teeth (don't believe the commercials, it's really not) and it can lead to trapped gas which makes you look bigger than you are and which is uncomfortable. There are other downsides, too. For example, if you eat sugarless gum, then you are chewing gum with artificial sweeteners. These cause insulin to be produced when it isn't needed. Once that hits your bloodstream, your body will start to crave food, particularly something sweet, because you have sent it the signal that sugar was coming its way (through the artificial sweetener) but nothing has arrived. This also puts you at risk of metabolic syndrome, which can make it easy to gain weight but tougher to lose it. So the alternative is gum with sugar in it, which is even worse for your teeth and comes with a hit of sugar based calories. In that case, you may as well have had a light snack and satisfied your hunger with real food! For the calories you'd get in a piece of gum with sugar in it, you may as well eat a bowl of baby carrots!

Comment

It doesn't stop me from snacking, but if I chew gum after a meal it stops me from wanting dessert, so it can help a bit in that way!

Comment

I can only chew gum for about 15 minutes before I have to spit it out so it doesn't really help me.

Comment

I say give it a try. If it works for you, great, if not, well then you know you will need to try something else. That's really the best way to know.

Comment

Thanks for all of your thoughts on the matter. I think I might take your advice Lady Greenfairy and just give it a try. Not like I have anything to lose. If it works, it works, if it doesn't it doesn't. Hopefully it will. Wish me luck!

Comment

Working...
              X