Vegetarianism and Weight Loss - The good, the bad, and the ugly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vegetarianism and Weight Loss - The good, the bad, and the ugly

Bruce posted awesome data about vegetarianism and weight loss and I just wanted to take that a little further and ask y'all about Vegetarianism and your opinion on it regarding weight loss. I think I'm going to cut meat out of my diet and see how much of an effect it has on weight loss. Any Vegetarians out there have some tips on what I should do or maybe on how being vegetarian has helped them lose weight? Vegetarianism regarding the good, the bad, and the ugly - I want to know it all

If you want to be a vegetarian, make sure you find ways to obtain the necessary protein, vitamins and minerals you need that come from meat. If you don't replace what you take out of your diet, you'll lose more than just weight. I've seen one too many friends decide to go vegetarian or vegan and crash and burn because they didn't put back in their diet what they took out. Know what you're doing or just don't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post
      If you want to be a vegetarian, make sure you find ways to obtain the necessary protein, vitamins and minerals you need that come from meat. If you don't replace what you take out of your diet, you'll lose more than just weight. I've seen one too many friends decide to go vegetarian or vegan and crash and burn because they didn't put back in their diet what they took out. Know what you're doing or just don't do it.
      I gotta say, Speeddemon, we've had our differences of opinion in the past (many of which have been kept in my own head because I'd rather not battle it out online haha) but I couldn't agree with you more. I had a friend who decided to go vegan and a lot of her hair started falling out because she ended up being anemic (I have no idea if I spelled that right).
      There are a lot of nutrients like iron that we get a lot of from meat so if you're used to eating meat then that's probably your main source of those nutrients. Talk to your doctor and/or a nutritionist or you could end up biting off more than you can chew!

Comment

Ya, I agree with TinaDancer. You'll want to talk to your doctor before you make a drastic lifestyle change like becoming a vegetarian. Giving up meat and just going green could wreak some serious havoc on your body. That said, my cousin is a Vegan and he's the size of a beanpole, so as long as you are eating the right nutrients I imagine you could lose a lot of weight, especially if you go vegan and give up meat, dairy, and all other animal related products.

Comment

Provided that you don't fry absolutely everything that you eat, you really can't go wrong with veganism for weight loss (assuming you do it right for your health)...but there is a downside to being a beanpole. Trust me!

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
            Provided that you don't fry absolutely everything that you eat, you really can't go wrong with veganism for weight loss (assuming you do it right for your health)...but there is a downside to being a beanpole. Trust me!
            Really? There is a downside to being a beanpole? I've wanted to be a beanpole my whole life lol. I think I'll take being a beanpole over being a donut any day!

Comment

awww, JennyR...you don't really want to give up meat do you? Is it worth it to trade yummy bacon for greens or, worse, tofu bacon *shudder*? In all seriousness though, I have to agree with Speeddemon, TinaDancer, and TroyBurger. If you're going to be giving up meat, make sure you find an adequate replacement(s) for what you take out of your regular diet.

Comment

I would not recommend becoming a vegetarian or vegan unless you have a really good reason to follow this kind of lifestyle (i.e. you don't want to eat meat because you love animals, etc.). This type of a lifestyle is often more of a pain in the rear than it's worth. Not just to you, but to your family and friends, as well. I'd recommend you limit the amount of meat you eat - especially red meat - and increase the amount of fish you eat. This way, you'll still get lots of nutrients, but you don't just have to stick to a veggie/fruit/legume/grain diet.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                  I would not recommend becoming a vegetarian or vegan unless you have a really good reason to follow this kind of lifestyle (i.e. you don't want to eat meat because you love animals, etc.). This type of a lifestyle is often more of a pain in the rear than it's worth. Not just to you, but to your family and friends, as well. I'd recommend you limit the amount of meat you eat - especially red meat - and increase the amount of fish you eat. This way, you'll still get lots of nutrients, but you don't just have to stick to a veggie/fruit/legume/grain diet.
                  You really do have a point, there. If you really believe in it fully or you need it for medical reasons, fine, but otherwise, can't you give those who are trying to feed you or go to restaurants with you a break!

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
                    Bean has a very good point. You don't want to fry everything and you'll still need to watch how much fat you consume. I am a vegetarian and have been for over a decade. I don't eat any meat but I still consume dairy and eggs. Many dairy products are high in fat and high in sugar. You'll also want to watch your carb intake. Vegetarianism can help with weight loss but it certainly doesn't work miracles...if it did, I wouldn't be participating in a weight loss forum

Comment

Hmmm, those are some pretty strong opinions y'all have about vegetarianism. You've given me a lot to think about. I haven't quite decided yet if I'm going to give up all meat, or just cut out most meat and eat more fish, but I certainly need to think about my nutrition levels if I'm going to forgo some of the meat I eat. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X