What about my dog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about my dog?

I've got a weight loss question regarding my dog. He's pretty overweight. He's not super obese or anything but I am worried about his health and I think he could spare to lose a few pounds. I've stopped feeding him people food but I don't want to cut out his treats entirely because I don't want him to be miserable. Any suggestions on how I can trim him down without making his life depressing? (FYI he's 7)

Your dog is fortunate to have a caring owner. You're right that helping him to get into a healthy weight is also important. Cutting out human food is very important as you've done for him. Keep treats down to a minimum. If you want to give him more than one in a day, buy treats that are half the size or cut them in half. You can also use your dog's kibble as treats instead and just subtract the number of "treats" you're giving from his normal meal amount. That way, he's getting the right amount of food but both you and he still feel like he's getting something special. Exercise will be important too. If you haven't been walking him once per day, get started. As his fitness increases, you can boost that up to 2 times per day but be careful with that because he can hurt himself just like you can by overdoing it. Unlike us, dogs love exercising. Going for a walk is great for his mental health as well as his physical health. Good luck!

Comment

Ya, walk more and less treats - just like the rest of us haha

Comment

Originally posted by PennyThoughts View Post
        Ya, walk more and less treats - just like the rest of us haha

I agree with Penny thoughts. I'd also like to add that if you're that concerned, take him to his vet and find out what they recommend. They may be able to give you the best tips that you need.

Comment

Aww once you're back from the vet you can consider yourself dieting buddies. I bet if you just go on regular walks together you'll both benefit from it. You'll see the difference on the scale and how you'll feel after your workouts as you get more fit. What's your dog's name?

Comment

Working...
          X