Why are carbs bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are carbs bad?

Out of curiosity, why do a lot of people think carbs are bad for weight loss? I hear it all the time but when I look into healthy eating plans, they always include things like whole grains and fruit that has natural sugar in it. Those things sound like they’re very important to a healthy diet but then as soon as you want to start dieting all you hear about is that carbs are evil and you shouldn’t eat them. Wouldn’t that mean once you lose the weight and eat normally, you’re eating carbs again? Why is that?

I don't think they're actually bad. I think it's just a matter of balance. You need carbs, fats and protein. The standard diet isn't balanced with those three things. So if you're eating too many carbs compared to the others, you need to scale it back.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
      I don't think they're actually bad. I think it's just a matter of balance. You need carbs, fats and protein. The standard diet isn't balanced with those three things. So if you're eating too many carbs compared to the others, you need to scale it back.

Exactly! The trouble is that most of us eat way more carbs than we need and are not getting enough of other stuff, which can help to contribute to weight gain and/or making harder for us to lose weight. So, it's not that carbs are evil, it's just that we need to eat less of them than we do. As Bonnie said, it's all about finding the proper balance.

Comment

Yeah I have to agree with Bonnie and SuzieQ. Carbs are not evil, they just happen to be the category in which many of the foods we love fall into. Therefore, it's easy for us to overindulge in them without even thinking about it and for many of us this leads to weight gain or it makes it really hard for us to shed the fat. So, yes, you do need to have carbs, but you shouldn't have more carbs than your body requires in a day. Any diet that tells you to ditch carbs altogether is a bad diet that you shouldn't follow. The same goes for a diet that tells you to dramatically lower them to a stupid level. In most cases, if you cut back on second helpings at meals, drink more water, eat a fruit or a vegetable when you need a snack, exercise every day and get adequate sleep, you'll start to see weight loss.

Comment

I wish people would just say it like htat. if they stopped saying "OMG CARBS NOOOOOOOOOOO" and they started saying that we just shouldn't eat so much of them, then it would stop people like me from making stupid choices about what we eat. I have never followed a low carb diet and I still occasionally feel guilty for eating bread and potatoes because it's been hammered into my head that they're bad for my waistline.

Comment

The reason why they can't just say it like that is something has to be blamed or labeled as the "bad guy" so diets that want to make a lot of money can. It's always about balance...no matter what anyone says.

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post
              The reason why they can't just say it like that is something has to be blamed or labeled as the "bad guy" so diets that want to make a lot of money can. It's always about balance...no matter what anyone says.
              You're right. I would be really bad at marketing LOL I always forget that it's not just some guy saying "I'm going to make this difficult for Bethie because she's stupid." It's all a part of some big strategy because they know how shoppers respond to things and they know that we all need to feel driven to fight the big bad evil thing using this magical fast solution. So maybe instead of getting mad at them, I should get mad at me lol

Comment

Nah, don't get mad at you. You can still get mad at them lol. While they're not targeting you specifically and while we all need to be smarter when it comes to marketing, they're still purposely preying on people's weaknesses to make money and even if that is an effective money-making business strategy it's still a dirty one in my books.

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post
                  Nah, don't get mad at you. You can still get mad at them lol. While they're not targeting you specifically and while we all need to be smarter when it comes to marketing, they're still purposely preying on people's weaknesses to make money and even if that is an effective money-making business strategy it's still a dirty one in my books.
                  I feel like that's not just supplements. All marketing does that. SUpplements just happen to play into a more sensitive part of us than say socks or cleaning products

Comment

Working...
                  X