exercising doesn't make you hungry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exercising doesn't make you hungry

Just read a study that blew my mind. It was a big study with a good method. It showed only 4% of people actually get hungrier in a day that they exercise than they would if they didn’t. So much for that excuse not to work out. It’s all been in my head!

Really? Call me skeptical, but study or not, I find that kind-of hard to believe because when you exercise you're burning calories and using up energy. I always find that when I've been really active in a day I have a great appetite compared to when I just sit around all day and do nothing. I might still eat the same regardless of how active I am or not but the difference I find is that when I do nothing all day, I eat out of habit not hunger whereas when I actually use energy for activity I want food because I feel hungry. Am I the only one who feels like that?

Comment

Originally posted by ChristySmiles View Post
      Really? Call me skeptical, but study or not, I find that kind-of hard to believe because when you exercise you're burning calories and using up energy. I always find that when I've been really active in a day I have a great appetite compared to when I just sit around all day and do nothing. I might still eat the same regardless of how active I am or not but the difference I find is that when I do nothing all day, I eat out of habit not hunger whereas when I actually use energy for activity I want food because I feel hungry. Am I the only one who feels like that?
      I guess you must just be one of the 4 percent who do get hungry after all.

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post
        Just read a study that blew my mind. It was a big study with a good method. It showed only 4% of people actually get hungrier in a day that they exercise than they would if they didn’t. So much for that excuse not to work out. It’s all been in my head!
        Really? That's a little hilarious! Apparently it's all been in my head, too! ...so, now the hard part...how do I get it out of my head? Hahaha!

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post

Really? That's a little hilarious! Apparently it's all been in my head, too! ...so, now the hard part...how do I get it out of my head? Hahaha!
          It's funny but for the last while I've found that it has actually been in my head, all jokes aside. The more I convince myself that most people don't actually feel hungrier than usual after a workout, the less I actually feel hungry after a workout. The truth is, after a while when I have exercised, I do start to feel hungry, but I don't actually end up having to eat more than I usually would to satisfy the hunger. So I think I've just been blaming my workouts for just being hungry in a normal way!

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post

It's funny but for the last while I've found that it has actually been in my head, all jokes aside. The more I convince myself that most people don't actually feel hungrier than usual after a workout, the less I actually feel hungry after a workout. The truth is, after a while when I have exercised, I do start to feel hungry, but I don't actually end up having to eat more than I usually would to satisfy the hunger. So I think I've just been blaming my workouts for just being hungry in a normal way!
            That's really interesting. Maybe I'll adopt your approach and try to convince my brain of the same thing It'll be nice to tell myself I don't need to eat instead of trying to convince myself why I should eat. I think I'll also try drinking a glass of water after I exercise to take care of any "hunger" I might "think" is there haha.

Comment

That's a great idea. We should likely all drink more water around when we exercise anyway, so drinking a glass when you're done your workout just to put something in your belly is a good way to kill two birds with one stone.

I'm making a bit of progress with telling myself I don't need to eat more than usual in a day just because I exercised and I'm pretty sure it's working. I still feel like I need a snack after my workout but I think that's out of habit more than actual hunger and energy needs. So I'm being very light on the snacks I give myself so that I go through the motions of eating without packing on the calories.

Comment

Going light on the snacks is smart. I do agree that a lot of wanting to eat sometimes (especially out of habit) can often be cured with some sort of oral fixation....I just wish that there were better alterntves to smoking and gum hahaha. I think I'm going to start chewing on celery or something that essentially has no calories but has a good crunch.

Comment

I think the key is actually to keep your hands busy so you just can't eat when you're doing inactive things like watching videos. If you're sitting still on the couch, you're more likely to want to snack on something that has you eating repetitively like popcorn or chips. If you keep your hands busy, you won't be able to do that and likely won't even think about it. I've read about people doing craft projects like knitting and other repetitive tasks like that. Just please tell me you won't start playing with fidget spinners. If I never see another one of those it will be too soon

Comment

Hahaha...oh no, not fidget spinners. I`m too old to jump on board those trends. Once I was over my tomogotchi phase, I stopped with the having to have all the latest haha.

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post
                      Hahaha...oh no, not fidget spinners. I`m too old to jump on board those trends. Once I was over my tomogotchi phase, I stopped with the having to have all the latest haha.
                      I remember those! After having killed my digital pet a few times because of reasons outside my control (class time, sleep etc haha) I finally got rid of mine.

Comment

Working...
                      X