clinically researched ingredients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clinically researched ingredients

When you see a product that says clinically researched ingredients or claims that they are proven, make sure you look at the studies that allow you to verify that. Don't just look at pretty graphs they've created themselves. Make sure the studies are in actual research journals. Then, look at the abstract (a paragraph about what was actually studied) to be sure that it wasn't just to see if it is safe in rats. A reputable company will reference the studies used so that you can check them all out on the journal sites. I've found this to be extremely helpful information for making my own choices, so I thought I'd share.

Originally posted by KittyKatt View Post
    When you see a product that says clinically researched ingredients or claims that they are proven, make sure you look at the studies that allow you to verify that. Don't just look at pretty graphs they've created themselves. Make sure the studies are in actual research journals. Then, look at the abstract (a paragraph about what was actually studied) to be sure that it wasn't just to see if it is safe in rats. A reputable company will reference the studies used so that you can check them all out on the journal sites. I've found this to be extremely helpful information for making my own choices, so I thought I'd share.
    Very true! I just want to add that in my experience I've also discovered that sometimes the research they provide about the ingredient either doesn't apply to the claims that are made or the research is inconclusive. I know there is no research out there that can prove something worse 100% - especially in relation to supplement products that are not officially approved...but some studies are definitely better than others. I also think that the more something is studied (and, yes, on humans) the better!

Comment

Good point. You can usually find out what the study was researching and what they found within a few sentences, you don't have to read the whole thing. I don't know about you, but I find studies really complicated and confusing except for the purpose and conclusion. The abstract says everything needed for just checking into what a supplement company is claiming though. Good idea!

Comment

Originally posted by TammyBear View Post
        Good point. You can usually find out what the study was researching and what they found within a few sentences, you don't have to read the whole thing. I don't know about you, but I find studies really complicated and confusing except for the purpose and conclusion. The abstract says everything needed for just checking into what a supplement company is claiming though. Good idea!
        Me, too! I get so confused when I read too much into a study. I just look at the first paragraph that tells me what they were studying, who they were studying it on, and why. Then I find the conclusion to see the results. Honestly, I find that for products that have clinically researched ingredients, half the time, the research they provide doesn't really give any evidence that the ingredient is effective in the way that they claim, especially when it's an ingredient that hasn't been studied much. Mostly when I try a new OTC product I sort of feel like a guinea pig LOL

Comment

Originally posted by M-Stark334 View Post

Me, too! I get so confused when I read too much into a study. I just look at the first paragraph that tells me what they were studying, who they were studying it on, and why. Then I find the conclusion to see the results. Honestly, I find that for products that have clinically researched ingredients, half the time, the research they provide doesn't really give any evidence that the ingredient is effective in the way that they claim, especially when it's an ingredient that hasn't been studied much. Mostly when I try a new OTC product I sort of feel like a guinea pig LOL
          You're right. So often, places link to studies that don't say much. I've seen a diet pill ingredient linked to a mouse study examining the impact on epilepsy! That had nothing to do with its claims. Really the first few lines for the purpose and the last bit of the conclusion should at least tell us if a study shows anything remotely close to the pill claims.

Comment

I find that I recognize a lot of ingredients in some of the good diet pills I've tried. Caffeine, green tea, green coffee...those are all things I recognize. So it's the other things I generally look up.

Comment

Originally posted by TeensyTiff View Post
              I find that I recognize a lot of ingredients in some of the good diet pills I've tried. Caffeine, green tea, green coffee...those are all things I recognize. So it's the other things I generally look up.
              Good point. They may not be the only good ingredients, but at least you know if you've tried them and they're safe. So it reduces the rest of the research you have to do.

Comment

Working...
              X