Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why can’t people taking MAOIs take prescription diet pills?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can’t people taking MAOIs take prescription diet pills?

I’ve noticed that those who take Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) cannot take prescription diet pills, like Phentermine. Why is that? And is this the same for all prescription diet pills or just phentermine?

Because MAOIs have an impact on the brain in order to help to treat people from things like depression and other mental illnesses. But Phentermine also is a stimulant on the brain and it can have an impact on some of the same areas. So the two drugs can be working away on the brain in the same place and it can cause some serious and scary side effects

Comment

Yeesh. Is that why they don’t want teens taking the stuff? I think I read somewhere that some diet drugs like Phentermine can cause serious depression in teens which can lead to suicidal thoughts and things. Is this ture?

Comment

Originally posted by suzieQ View Post
        Yeesh. Is that why they don’t want teens taking the stuff? I think I read somewhere that some diet drugs like Phentermine can cause serious depression in teens which can lead to suicidal thoughts and things. Is this ture?
        It could be true. There are a lot of drugs that affect that part of the brain that send teens in a bad direction. Even a lot of antidepressants that are considered to be relatively mild can't be prescribed to teens because it can not only make depression worse but it can cause suicidal thoughts. The teenage brain is still undergoing a very vital part of development, as are hormone levels. That, in combination with the fact that life as a teen is really hard (I sure wouldn't want to do it again!) makes it so that some drugs that stimulate the brain just dont' react the same way that they would in an adult.

Comment

MAOIs conflict with tons of other drugs and supplements, not just phentermine. You really have to be careful when you're on that. Plus it stays in your system for 2 weeks after you stop taking it so you need to know that, too.

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post
            MAOIs conflict with tons of other drugs and supplements, not just phentermine. You really have to be careful when you're on that. Plus it stays in your system for 2 weeks after you stop taking it so you need to know that, too.
            Thanks for all the input. MadMike, I didn't realize that MAOIs stay in your system two weeks after you stop taking them. I guess you probably shouldn't prescription diet drugs during this period either, not until it's fully out of your system!

Comment

There are far healthier, natural alternatives to all of those options and they don’t come with the side effects and conflicts associated with those heavy chemicals. If something causes you to become addicted or if it stays hung up like a toxin in your body for weeks after you have used it, that should be a strong sign that it is not the right choice and that Mother Nature never intended it to be in existence.

Comment

Working...
              X