Insomnia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insomnia

I heard that insomnia is a possible side effect of taking phentermine. Is this true? I thought that this was an appetite suppressant. Does this mean it is a stimulant, too and you should avoid taking it too close to bedtime?

I think it's because it's a stimulant, so it depends on how much you're affected by stimulants. This one is really strong so if you take it too close to your bedtime or if you're really affected by stimulants, then you could end up finding it really hard to sleep. That's how I understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by brightstar View Post
      I think it's because it's a stimulant, so it depends on how much you're affected by stimulants. This one is really strong so if you take it too close to your bedtime or if you're really affected by stimulants, then you could end up finding it really hard to sleep. That's how I understand it.
      I think you're right. It is a powerful stimulant, that's one of the main reasons it supposedly works so well. You should avoid taking it too close to bed time and and you should follow the directions that are given to you. If you are really worried about insomnia or stimulant side-effects, you can bring this up with your doctor.

Comment

Definitely talk to your doctor if it's making it hard for you to sleep. The less you sleep, the more you crave junk food. Don't work against yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by brightstar View Post
          Okay well that makes sense. I guess its the fact that it's a stimulant that it suppresses appetite then? Yeah, if I do take this I will definitely avoid taking it too close to bedtime. I'm a bad sleeper at the best of times!

Comment

Originally posted by Tony1968 View Post

Okay well that makes sense. I guess its the fact that it's a stimulant that it suppresses appetite then? Yeah, if I do take this I will definitely avoid taking it too close to bedtime. I'm a bad sleeper at the best of times!
            yes, that's right. Stimulants help suppress the appetite. Even coffee is supposed to a bit, but I don't notice that. Maybe because I drink so much coffee

Comment

Did you know that chocolate contains a HUGE amount of caffeine? I always thought it was just a bit. It's more than tea! Check this out. If you drink one ounce of espresso, it has an average of 75 milligrams of caffeine. If you at a one ounce square of dark chocolate, it contains about 23 milligrams of caffeine! 3 ounces of chocolate and you've essentially had a shot of espresso!

Comment

Originally posted by KraftMan View Post
                Did you know that chocolate contains a HUGE amount of caffeine? I always thought it was just a bit. It's more than tea! Check this out. If you drink one ounce of espresso, it has an average of 75 milligrams of caffeine. If you at a one ounce square of dark chocolate, it contains about 23 milligrams of caffeine! 3 ounces of chocolate and you've essentially had a shot of espresso!
                Holy cow! I'm genuinely shocked by that. I honestly thought that the caffeine in chocolate was pretty minimal. Yikes. Sometimes it really freaks me out how much I don't know about some of the foods I eat!

Comment

Originally posted by Tony1968 View Post

Holy cow! I'm genuinely shocked by that. I honestly thought that the caffeine in chocolate was pretty minimal. Yikes. Sometimes it really freaks me out how much I don't know about some of the foods I eat!
                  I didn't realize that either. I know a lot about what I eat. I pay close attention to my nutrition. I'd been taught as a child that the amount of caffeine in chocolate was enough to affect you if you had it before bed, but not really enough to do much else. I'm surprised that I haven't fact checked that one. Thank you for sharing this information. It's important to know to make informed decisions.

Comment

Does anyone know if this caffeine in chocolate apply to all chocolate or just the pure dark chocolate? Does milk chocolate that's most commonly used for candybars have a lot of caffeine, too?

Comment

It's not all the same.
                      100 grams of dark chocolate has 43 grams of caffeine
                      100 grams of milk chocolate has 20 grams of caffeine
                      White chocolate doesn't contain any. 0 grams of caffeine.

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post
                        It's not all the same.
                        100 grams of dark chocolate has 43 grams of caffeine
                        100 grams of milk chocolate has 20 grams of caffeine
                        White chocolate doesn't contain any. 0 grams of caffeine.
                        Thanks for this enviroTodd! That helps to put things into perspective. Still, there's a lot more caffeine than I thought.

Comment

Since this stuff is barely (if at all) taught in school, I feel like most of us should use our adult life to take a nutrition class - in person or online. We need this kind of information. We're making uninformed choices even when we're fully educated in the standard way.

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post
                            Since this stuff is barely (if at all) taught in school, I feel like most of us should use our adult life to take a nutrition class - in person or online. We need this kind of information. We're making uninformed choices even when we're fully educated in the standard way.
                            HAHA oh my gosh. Imagine! Adult school! LOL that would be really funny. Actually we might learn something that helps us in our daily lives instead of all the nonsense we learned in school.

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post

HAHA oh my gosh. Imagine! Adult school! LOL that would be really funny. Actually we might learn something that helps us in our daily lives instead of all the nonsense we learned in school.
                              I agree. I think we could all use some real-life lessons that we didn't get through our first round of education. It would be good if the entire last year of high school was a "now let's get you ready to face the real world" year. All the academic stuff will have already been finished. It will be great for a base knowledge for the average student and will be important for anyone going to post-secondary education. But 12th grade should be about nutrition, general health, first aid, basic home repair, budgeting, personal finance, basic job skills, etiquette and manners and some other things the majority of us lacked upon leaving high school but that we could all have used a lot more than what we learned in biochem or calculus. I'm not sure what school is preparing us for anymore other than more school.

Comment

Working...
                              X