Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do prescription diet pills get selected for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do prescription diet pills get selected for you?

What makes a doctor choose a prescription diet pill for you over another one? Like, why would a fat blocker be chosen instead of an appetite suppressant one?

I think the stimulant ones - like adipex, that are appetite suppressants and all that - are the main ones. But they can increase your heart rate because they're stimulants, so if that's going to be risky for you, I guess they'll use the fat blockers for you instead. They help you to get less calories from the fat you eat (but look out becuase if you've eaten it, it still has to go somewhere...out.

Comment

It's whichever one has the lowest risk for you but will give you the most help. Obesity pills are about the balance of risk vs benefit. That's why some people can't get them at all even if they're obese. They have side effects and risk, so it's just whether they're likely to benefit you enough that the risk is worth it.

Comment

Depends on the type of diet you'll be following. The pills don't do the work, you do, so the ones chosen for you depend on the diet you'll be doing.

Comment

I think fat blockers are a secondary choice. It's just that not everyone can use the ones based on stimulants because of issues like blood pressure and others.

Comment

Originally posted by KittyKatt View Post
            I think fat blockers are a secondary choice. It's just that not everyone can use the ones based on stimulants because of issues like blood pressure and others.
            Good point! I didn't realize that fat blockers were a second choice. I guess it would really only help people whose main problem is eating too much dietary fat, too. If you're filling up mainly on carbs, I can't see this helping too much.

Comment

Originally posted by TammyBear View Post

Good point! I didn't realize that fat blockers were a second choice. I guess it would really only help people whose main problem is eating too much dietary fat, too. If you're filling up mainly on carbs, I can't see this helping too much.
              I'd think the other kinds teach you better habits along with their diets anyway.

Comment

Working...
              X