Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you lose more weight with prescription diet drugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you lose more weight with prescription diet drugs?

I was wondering if you lose more weight with prescription drugs compared to OTC varieties that are marketed as alternatives. Just how much more powerful are prescription pills? Does anyone know?

I think it really depends on the individual. That being said, they are a lot more powerful than OTC alternatives that have been designed to mimic their effects. Even if they do not cause you to lose an exorbitant amount of weight, there is a very good chance that you will feel the effects of prescription diet drugs because their ingredients are far more potent. Just remember that it's not just about taking a pill, it's the diet you follow and your activity level that will always lead to maximum weight loss results.

Comment

You can lose more weight with prescription diet drugs, but you also get a lot of nasty side effects to go along with it. Personally, I think part of the reason people lose weight when they are on prescription diet drugs is they feel like crap. When you're not feeling well, you tend to eat less. That said, a lot of people who go off them, also tend to gain a lot of the weight back.

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post
        You can lose more weight with prescription diet drugs, but you also get a lot of nasty side effects to go along with it. Personally, I think part of the reason people lose weight when they are on prescription diet drugs is they feel like crap. When you're not feeling well, you tend to eat less. That said, a lot of people who go off them, also tend to gain a lot of the weight back.
        Why do you lose more weight on prescription drugs? I'm under the impression that some of the nonprescription ones have a lot of benefits in common with the prescription ones. Do the prescription drugs actually make the weight loss happen in a faster way somehow?

Comment

It depends on the pill and the dose

Comment

Originally posted by TammyBear View Post
            It depends on the pill and the dose

I agree with TammyBear. I think it also depends on the specific individual, such as how well their body responds to the drug and also on what dietary and exercise choices they make while they are on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bethie View Post

Why do you lose more weight on prescription drugs? I'm under the impression that some of the nonprescription ones have a lot of benefits in common with the prescription ones. Do the prescription drugs actually make the weight loss happen in a faster way somehow?

I think because, on the whole, they're more powerful. I'm not saying that ever prescription drug works the same or that they are ideal for everyone. I'm sure some people have a lot of success with the non-prescription variety. That said, I'm willing to bet that appetite suppression and fat blocking is a lot more powerful in prescription strength drugs than in the otc type. Then again I could be completely wrong. Someone should really do studies comparing the two types to find out if prescription diet drugs really are more powerful.

Comment

I think you’re likely right, Speedemon. The whole reason that prescription drugs need a doctor’s permission to be used is because they are as powerful as they are. So they must be more powerful than everything else that is out there on the over the counter market.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I think I sort-of have the answer I want to my question hahaha.

Comment

Working...
                  X