Shoveling and Winter Sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoveling and Winter Sports

A LOT of snow has fallen where I live!! Please tell me that shoveling snow is a good workout. I don't like doing it but I feel like if it offers me some benefits other than feeling completely wiped once I'm done it I'll feel more motivated.

Speaking of snow, what winter sports tend to burn the most calories?

Shoveling snow is definitely a good workout! It combines cardio and strength training! In fact, many people don't realize what a great workout it is, and they overdo it and hurt themselves. Think of it as a moderate-to-high intensity gym session (depending on how much snow fell and how much you've gone for it) you do for the same length of time. It involves moving around like walking, as well as pushing, bending, lifting weight. Be careful out there and remember to switch arms with the shovel to even out your workout and reduce your risk of overdoing it with one side of your body.

Comment

Originally posted by Bethie View Post
      Shoveling snow is definitely a good workout! It combines cardio and strength training! In fact, many people don't realize what a great workout it is, and they overdo it and hurt themselves. Think of it as a moderate-to-high intensity gym session (depending on how much snow fell and how much you've gone for it) you do for the same length of time. It involves moving around like walking, as well as pushing, bending, lifting weight. Be careful out there and remember to switch arms with the shovel to even out your workout and reduce your risk of overdoing it with one side of your body.
      All good tips Bethie! Yeah, you can seriously work up a sweat while shoveling. I actually enjoy doing it. I don't just think it's great for exercise but because it is so physical you can seriously burn off a lot of steam if your annoyed or anxious. But, yeah, do be careful. I've thrown my back out more than once when I haven't been careful to bend with my legs...especially when that wet heavy snow is on the ground.

Comment

I enjoy doing it as long as I don't have anything else pressing for the day. I hate it first thing in the morning before work. Not a fan when I'm in a hurry to be somewhere. When it's the weekend and I'm just talking to neighbors walking by, it's pretty fun and I definitely work up a sweat!

Comment

Wow. I had no idea shoveling was such a good workout. Maybe it will make me hate it less LOL.

So what about winter sports? Which of those will help me to get a workout and be fun, too? Any winter sporting enthusiasts out there?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony1968 View Post
            Wow. I had no idea shoveling was such a good workout. Maybe it will make me hate it less LOL.

So what about winter sports? Which of those will help me to get a workout and be fun, too? Any winter sporting enthusiasts out there?
            Sure..skiing, skating, and horseshoeing are all great ways to lose weight and have fun in the winter!

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post

Sure..skiing, skating, and horseshoeing are all great ways to lose weight and have fun in the winter!
              Do you mean snowshoeing, BabyButtons
              My mind is in the same place as yours because I didn't even notice at first. I was going to suggest running or walking in snow which shifts around so it's like being on sand for a better workout. Then I read that you wrote "horseshoeing" and I had to laugh because I had read it as "snowshoeing"
              Last edited by enviroTodd; 01-09-2020, 12:06 PM. Reason: the second half of my message was deleted when I posted my reply so I added again!

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post

Do you mean snowshoeing, BabyButtons
                My mind is in the same place as yours because I didn't even notice at first. I was going to suggest running or walking in snow which shifts around so it's like being on sand for a better workout. Then I read that you wrote "horseshoeing" and I had to laugh because I had read it as "snowshoeing"
                LOL OMG YES! That is what I meant I thought it sounded a little funny as I was typing it but I couldn't think of what else it was. I just knew shoes was involved hahaha! Glad I wasn't the only one stumped by it at first. That said, I'm sure Horseshoeing could be an interesting activity...Get on a horse and let it do all the work Probably not the best for weight loss though lol!

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post

LOL OMG YES! That is what I meant I thought it sounded a little funny as I was typing it but I couldn't think of what else it was. I just knew shoes was involved hahaha! Glad I wasn't the only one stumped by it at first. That said, I'm sure Horseshoeing could be an interesting activity...Get on a horse and let it do all the work Probably not the best for weight loss though lol!
                  HAHA I knew it. I think horseshoeing does exist. Isn't that the game when you throw a horseshoe and try to wrap it around a post? It's called a "ringer" when you get one. I played it when I was a kid. Or is that just called Horseshoes?

Comment

Yes horseshoes! I don't think horseshoeing is a game I think its actually the act of putting shoes on a horse LOL. I used to play horseshoes, too. If I recall it was fun. I should do that again in the summer

Comment

Has anyone tried tubing? Do you get an actual workout from that or is the work all done by the tube?

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
                        Has anyone tried tubing? Do you get an actual workout from that or is the work all done by the tube?
                        Tubing is awesome! That said, it's not the best for calorie burning in my opinion because you go down a hill in a tube and then you're pulled up the hill...you don't use energy like you do when you skate, ski or snowboard. With tubing,you just...well, sit a lot LOL

Comment

For me, if my fitbit counts it, it's exercise. That's whether I'm shoveling snow, walking to my car or shaking my fist at the TV

Comment

Working...
                          X