Motivational Exercises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motivational Exercises

What is a good exercise for keeping you motivated as you workout and that will make you want to do it again? I find some exercises, i.e. running doesn't thrill me and although it's not so bad when I'm doing it, I find that I tend to choose not to do it more often than I do. I don't know if any of that made sense, but hopefully someone figured out what I'm trying to say/ask. LOL

I find that the best exercise to do to stay motivated isn't a single one, but to shake it up. So I exercise 5 times a week with 2 days off. I walk on Monday and Thursday because on those days I just "want to get it over with" and walking is easy to do. You throw on your footwear and head out the door with an MP3 player or a friend. Tuesday I do floor work, so either sit ups, push ups, squats, etc, or I do Pilates. I'm getting into the week at that point and am ready to actually put effort in. Wednesday I'm starting to feel a bit tired, so I do yoga. It's really rejuvinating. Friday, I am getting ready for a weekend off, so I'll normally go for a run/bike ride/swim, and then do some free weights to tone up. Then I have two blessed days off on Saturday and SUnday haha.

Comment

That's a great way to do it 1000kilowatts! For me, the exercise that brings me the most motivation is walking. Even if I don't want to do it, as soon as I get outside and start I'm already feeling better. Walk with upbeat music you like or with a friend (who can actually walk at a good pace - going for a stroll isn't exercise). I have a dog, so he helps to make sure I get out for a walk as well. Dogs are great for that.

Comment

I really like yoga. I find it highly motivational because it doesn't just involve your body, but your mind as well. It lets you take time to yourself and real clear your head. It's not just great for giving your body a work out and improving your flexibility but it also clears your head and helps you to de-stress. It's definitely worth giving a try. Try a class first if you've never done it before.

Comment

I've recently become a fan of Tai Chi. I find I have more energy and better focus after I do it and I feel like I'm doing something good for my body. It's fairly easy to do.

Comment

In my experience, the best way to stay motivated is to don't stick to the same routine or the same exercises. As 1000kilowatts has found, when you change the exercises you do to suit your mood you'll have a better time keeping on track with your exercise goals. It's a matter of figuring out what works best for you by knowing how you think and knowing how you are most likely to feel in the future. And remember, what's more important than finding an exercise routine that works for you, is just making sure you obtain some exercise everyday, regardless of how long or short it might be. Don't give up on yourself and you won't lack motivation.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfMoon View Post
              In my experience, the best way to stay motivated is to don't stick to the same routine or the same exercises. As 1000kilowatts has found, when you change the exercises you do to suit your mood you'll have a better time keeping on track with your exercise goals. It's a matter of figuring out what works best for you by knowing how you think and knowing how you are most likely to feel in the future. And remember, what's more important than finding an exercise routine that works for you, is just making sure you obtain some exercise everyday, regardless of how long or short it might be. Don't give up on yourself and you won't lack motivation.
              Switching up your workouts is not only good for keeping yourself motivated but it also helps you to make sure that you are using more of your muscles and more parts of your body. It's great if you walk every day but it doesn't give you a very big upper body workout. So if you walk most days, for example, but you also pepper it with strength training, swimming, or something else that uses other muscle groups, you're doing more for yourself overall while staving off boredom.

Comment

Write your exercises down on your calendar and check them off. That works for me.

Comment

I find going to the gym to be motivating. I'm not good at keeping up with exercises when I just do them myself at home.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips. I think I might just try to shake things up a bit and I may consider joining a gym or taking some yoga classes. Maybe my problem is that only at-home exercises aren't working for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X