cycling question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cycling question

I see cycling recommended for cardio instead of walking or swimming a lot. Isn't cycling focused way more on your lower body? If you use cycling instead of swimming, for instance, do you have to do other exercises for your body's upper half?

It depends on the type of cycling you're doing. If its stationary like an exercise bike, probably because your'e just sitting there. However, if you're cycling outside, you are likely using your upper body more than you think. You use it to remain balanced on your bike as it moves. You may also duck and shift in ways that require your upper body like your arms and shoulders to remain strong. If you are doing a stationary bike, I would recommend moving your upper half on the bike by leaning forward, standing up and pedaling, ducking as if you're going under something and leaning from side to side.

Comment

That's a really good question PamelaPoison. To be honest, even though what TroyBurger said makes sense I think I would still do some strength training exercises that focused on my upper half

Comment

I have to agree with M-Stark334. Ya, I think you'll still get some core and upper body from regular cycling but you'll probably need more if you really want to consider those muscles in your upper half to be exercised.

Comment

Originally posted by brightstar View Post
          I have to agree with M-Stark334. Ya, I think you'll still get some core and upper body from regular cycling but you'll probably need more if you really want to consider those muscles in your upper half to be exercised.
          Exactly. Cycling focuses more on your lower half. Combine it with lifting some weights and you should be golden

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post

Exactly. Cycling focuses more on your lower half. Combine it with lifting some weights and you should be golden
            Or you can get one of those stationary bikes that has the arm bars that move so that you need to use the upper half of your body!

Comment

Originally posted by Bethie View Post

Or you can get one of those stationary bikes that has the arm bars that move so that you need to use the upper half of your body!
              Yes! That's a great idea Sort of like a strider just a bike version.

Comment

Working...
              X