Running a Marathon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running a Marathon

To help motivate me to get in shape and exercise more, I've decided I'm going to run a marathon in the new year. Has anyone here ever run a marathon? Do you know how long it takes to train for one of those and what are the best exercises for building up my endurance. I know I have to take it slow because I don't want to injure myself. Any tips are welcome - thanks!

Good for you! Depending on how big of a marathon you're running it can take anywhere from a couple of months to a full year to prepare your body. Since you said you are only doing a little one, a couple of months should be all you need to get in shape. Start by walking and slowly work your way up to jogging. You'll need to exercise every day and I'd also recommend some strength training to help strengthen your muscles and joints. You may also want to talk to a trainer. They could help provide you with some awesome tips.

Comment

I recommend talking to a trainer or an experienced marathon runner. You can really hurt yourself if you're not careful. Running a marathon, even a small one takes a lot of dedication and commitment.

Comment

It takes quite a while to train. I don't want to tell you that you can't reach your goals but you might want to train for a half marathon in 2015 and aim for the full one in 2016 once you know what you're getting yourself into! YOU'RE AWESOME

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post
          It takes quite a while to train. I don't want to tell you that you can't reach your goals but you might want to train for a half marathon in 2015 and aim for the full one in 2016 once you know what you're getting yourself into! YOU'RE AWESOME

I agree with MadMike. It is a big commitment and you really need to train for it. Taking the year to build yourself up is a good idea.

Comment

Good for you for going for it Tony1968! Keep up the great work and do your best. Remember that it's not a sprint!

Comment

Thanks everyone! I do intend to take it slow. I didn't realize how slow I'd have to take it though. thanks for the advice I will put it to good use.

Comment

Working...
              X