walking inside vs outside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• walking inside vs outside

Here’s a question for all you smart people. If I walk outside for 30 minutes on sidewalks or if I walk up and down a hallway or around a basement or whatever inside for 30 minutes, will I get the same workout?

Probably outside is better because the ground isn't flat

Comment

I would imagine you would get the same workout if the surface outside is the same as the one inside, but as whirlybird pointed out if where you would walk outside isn't flat or has minor hills or anything like that, you'd probably get more of a workout outside because your exerting more energy. If you have stairs in your home and walking up stairs isn't a problem for you, I would recommend adding stair walking in with your hallway walk. This will help to ensure that you are burning more calories and you'll also workout other muscles.

Comment

Originally posted by Whirlybird View Post
        Probably outside is better because the ground isn't flat

I agree, but if outside isn't an option for you because of the weather or some other reason, definitely still workout indoors. What's important is that you get your heart rate up, regardless of where you may be walking and give your body good exercise. Don't just stroll around in your home.

Comment

Originally posted by JennyR View Post

I agree, but if outside isn't an option for you because of the weather or some other reason, definitely still workout indoors. What's important is that you get your heart rate up, regardless of where you may be walking and give your body good exercise. Don't just stroll around in your home.
          That's a really good point. You can't let the weather get in the way of your exercise. Outside may be better, but inside is better than nothing!

Comment

You'll get the same workout as long as you workout with the same intensity and for the same length of time. That said, a lot of people find it difficult to do this inside, which is why walking outdoors tends to be a lot easier. Plus, walking outside gives you fresh air and it also stimulates your sense in a way that being indoors does not. Essentially it's typically far more interesting walking outdoors, which can make working out more motivating. However, if you do just want to stay indoors, I'd recommend getting a treadmill or something like that. You're unlikely to get a great workout from walking around your hall, unless you happen to live in a mansion haha.

Comment

I agree with TaraNorth but if you want a treadmill that will give you an experience sort of like outside, get one that inclines

Comment

Working...
              X