how to avoid overheating when exercising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to avoid overheating when exercising

I've been walking and doing workouts regularly lately and I've been really proud of it but lately it's getting really hot out and I can't go as far because I'm overheating. How do I cool down effectively while working out so I can do more?

Make sure you're wearing light and breathable clothing and also stay well hydrated. I find that drinking cool water can really help to bring my temperature down. Also, protect your head from the sun. Wearing a ball cap or a hat can keep you cooler. You may also find applying a cool cloth to the back of your neck can be refreshing. You could also try spritzing yourself with cold water. Since you're likely already sweating up a storm anyway, adding more water to the mix isn't going to be any more uncomfortable lol.

Comment

Definitely stay hydrated and wear the right clothing like Janet said. I'd also recommend making sure your hair (if you have long hair) is tied back out of your face and lifted off the back of your neck. Other than that, one super hot days, you should either consider reducing your outdoor exercise or find an alternative, such as working out in an air conditioned space or heading to the pool if you want to keep up with your exercise goals.

Comment

put ice packs or a wet cloth on the back of your neck!

Comment

Originally posted by KenTraver View Post
          put ice packs or a wet cloth on the back of your neck!

I second what Ken Traver said! It's amazing how ice packs on the back of your neck can cool you down

Comment

I agree with all the other suggestions. The only other thing I could recommend for you is that you lower the intensity (not the length) or your workouts. You may be able to go for longer if you don't work out as hard. If you do need to work out at a certain intensity level, then I'd recommend doing shorter bursts of exercise more times in a day. For instance, if your workout is usually an hour, split it into two 30 minute sessions (one in the morning and one in the afternoon) Or if it's a total of 30 minutes, split it into two 15 minute sessions, etc.

Comment

Working...
            X