Am I doing it wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I doing it wrong?

I started a new exercise that involves lifting weights and I've noticed that when I lift the weights with my arms, my arms hurt. Is that supposed to happen? Am I doing it wrong?

are your arms hurting when you actually lift the weights or are your arms hurting later on that day or the next day? If it's hurting while you're doing it, you might not be doing it right. If your arms are hurting later or the next day, it could be that you're pushing yourself a little bit too hard but it doesn't necessarily mean you're doing it wrong.
    If you're really not sure, a personal trainer can help you out. You sound like you're very uncertain regarding the moves you're using. Weight training should be taken seriously. You can hurt muscles, joints, tendons and ligaments if you do it wrong. Try giving an expert a try, even if it's just for one session.
    Last edited by enviroTodd; 07-23-2016, 01:01 AM.

Comment

You're probably doing something small wrong. Make sure you're lifting weights the right way so you don't injure yourself

Comment

Oh No! Don't hurt yourself, Charlotte!

Comment

You might be doing it wrong. You could either be lifting the weights incorrectly or perhaps you're lifting weights that are too heavy for you. Something else to consider is were your arms injury-free before you started doing your exercises? There could be lots of reasons why you're experiencing pain, but not many of them are good reasons. Pain is rarely something you should ignore. Perhaps take a break for a week to allow your arms to full heal and then try again with lighter weights. If it still hurts, you're definitely either doing something wrong when you're lifting or there could be something up with your arm and you might want to have your doctor take a look.

Comment

How do your arms hurt? Is it just the "burn" from using your muscles? or do they hurt in a sharp pain or ache? Some hurt is normal. Some isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Whirlybird View Post
              How do your arms hurt? Is it just the "burn" from using your muscles? or do they hurt in a sharp pain or ache? Some hurt is normal. Some isn't.

That's exactly what I'm wondering Whirlybird. There are different kinds of hurt and discomforts with exercise that are normal as you ease your body into a workout routine and you use muscles you've never used before. However, such aches should go away whereas continual pain while you're working out is a sign of either doing something wrong or something being not right with your body.

Comment

Bean - I'm lifting the weights exactly as the video instructor says and I don't think they're too have. They're only five pounds. I want to work my way up to 10 pounds, but I know I need to become comfortable with 5 first before I move on to 10.

Whirlybird - It's an ache that I feel in my biceps and I feel it every time I lift the weight. It doesn't hurt after, only when I'm doing it. I thought it might have been the burn first, too, because I do get that when I workout sometimes, but it only seems to happen when I lift weights. I've actually stopped doing the exercise and my arms are okay now. I like the routine, but It made me feel unhappy to have my arms hurt like that and it just didn't feel right

Comment

Working...
                X