is walking enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is walking enough?

If I go for essentially the same walk every day and I walk briskly, is that enough exercise? (30 minutes)

Is that the only exercise you do? Do you do any other kind of fitness like yoga, strength training, etc.? Walking for 30 minutes daily is really good for you but whether or not it's enough depends on if you're trying to lose weight and - like I said - if you're doing anything else. If all you're doing is walking. Trying to get 2 30 minute walks per day is proabably better (so 60 minutes split up into two 30 minute walks at different points of the day)

Comment

I think it's enough if that's all you can swing for your personal lifestyle. Honestly, good for you for getting out there and walking 30 minutes a day MadMike. If you feel like you should do more, you'll probably get around to doing that when you're ready. Right now though, I think sticking with what you've got going on is a good idea because it's far better to exercise daily as you do than to take on more than you can handle and just quit altogether.

Comment

It depends on what your goals are. if you're looking to build muscle, probably not. If you're looking to stay healthy because you're getting enough cardio, ya, that sounds good. Are you out of breath when you're done?

Comment

Originally posted by brightstar View Post
          It depends on what your goals are. if you're looking to build muscle, probably not. If you're looking to stay healthy because you're getting enough cardio, ya, that sounds good. Are you out of breath when you're done?

I agree. Essentially, a walk is good enough if you've worked up a sweat and are panting a little by the end of it. If you don't feel the burn after you've walked then it's not enough.

Comment

as long as you walk fast enough during that time, sure. It is enough.

Comment

Originally posted by 1000kilowatts View Post
              as long as you walk fast enough during that time, sure. It is enough.

Exactly. If you're walking like a turtle it's definitely not enough but if you're getting your heart pumping it should be just fine. That said, it's enough cardio exercise but it's not enough overall exercise. For optimal health you should also work some strength training in there and/or exercises that help to improve your range of motion like Yoga or Pilates.

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post

Exactly. If you're walking like a turtle it's definitely not enough but if you're getting your heart pumping it should be just fine. That said, it's enough cardio exercise but it's not enough overall exercise. For optimal health you should also work some strength training in there and/or exercises that help to improve your range of motion like Yoga or Pilates.
                I agree. If you want to walk for your cardio, cool. But you need other kinds of exercise, too.

Comment

Working...
                X