What is the best produce to grow indoors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best produce to grow indoors

I live in an apartment without a balcony. Since I don't have a yard or a balcony, is there anything that I can grow inside? Like lettuce or tomatoes or anything or am I just dreaming? The den gets a lot of sun in the afternoon so I was thinking maybe I could grow some stuff in there...but I don't actually want to buy dirt and stuff if I'm just wasting my time. Has anyone successfully grown a veggie garden inside?
    Last edited by TaraNorth; 05-04-2020, 01:50 PM.

If you have a place with lots of sun, it just depends on how much space you want to devote to it. YOu can put in some big planters (with pans like litter boxes underneath to catch extra water) in your den in the sun if you want tomatoes or something like that. You can easily grow something smaller like herbs and compact types of lettuce in your window. You can also regrow kitchen scraps like romaine lettuce, leeks, carrot tops, garlic (if you can stand the smell) onions (same story). When you have sun, you can grow a lot inside just like outside. It's just a matter of your space and choosing something that will grow in a pot that size.

Comment

Do you have an old fish tank? Grow your kitchen scraps MadMike mentioned inside one of those. It'll keep them warm even if it's cool next to the window and the aquarium light will help to keep things going if the sun isn't shining that day or during hours when the sun isn't in the window. You don't need soil. Just use dishes of water for your celery, leeks, green onions, sprouted onions, garlic bulbs, carrot greens, beet greens, or even a pineapple top (if you have two years haha)

Comment

If you use a lot of herbs, they're really the best for a window. Still, if you do get all that sunlight, go for it with lettuce, radishes, spinach, chives and even carrots!

Comment

Originally posted by TammyBear View Post
          If you use a lot of herbs, they're really the best for a window. Still, if you do get all that sunlight, go for it with lettuce, radishes, spinach, chives and even carrots!
          Agreed! I've had success with most of these. The only one I can't seem to grow right is lettuce. I've tried lots of different things and it almost always ends up wilted or moldy LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Greenfairy View Post

Agreed! I've had success with most of these. The only one I can't seem to grow right is lettuce. I've tried lots of different things and it almost always ends up wilted or moldy LOL.
            Lettuce is easy but only if you stay on top of it. You need to change the water every day. Enough water that it never runs dry but not enough to start rotting the leaves. It can't be too warm or too cold. Lettuce doesn't do well when the room is too hot (it will wilt) and it likes sunlight, but not too much or it burns. If you have the ideal window conditions, it thrives. If you don't, it essentially rots. I will use my scraps to grow little tufts of lettuce - enough for a tiny side salad or (more often) enough to put on the family's hamburgers LOL. Then I toss it. It's still free food I grew myself, but it's not like I can have a lettuce crop out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post
              If you have a place with lots of sun, it just depends on how much space you want to devote to it. YOu can put in some big planters (with pans like litter boxes underneath to catch extra water) in your den in the sun if you want tomatoes or something like that. You can easily grow something smaller like herbs and compact types of lettuce in your window. You can also regrow kitchen scraps like romaine lettuce, leeks, carrot tops, garlic (if you can stand the smell) onions (same story). When you have sun, you can grow a lot inside just like outside. It's just a matter of your space and choosing something that will grow in a pot that size.
              These are all awesome ideas! Thanks so much.

Comment

Working...
              X