Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inspire me with Spring Vegetables, please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspire me with Spring Vegetables, please!

I'm about to start shopping for arugula, asparagus, spinach and other first vegetables from spring. Inspire me! What should I make? I always default to salad, or cooking things in olive oil with garlic. This year demands something new! I'm looking for healthy, so nothing deep fried please

have you tried fiddleheads? they're not out yet in my region but they will be really soon! Just chop off the ends, boil them for around 10 minutes (really important to make them safe to eat), then finish them in a pan with olive oil (or a touch of butter if you allow yourself). Just brown them a bit to bring out that extra flavor. They're unlike any other veggie you'll eat and they're only available for a week or two at most, so if you see them at your store, grab them up! Here's lots of fiddlehead info all in one place: https://www.sharefit.com/fiddleheads-recipe/

Comment

I find that spring veggies combine well. If you wait until later spring, you can make a spinach salad with green onions, strawberry slices, fresh mozarella pieces and a simple balsamic vinaigrette. It's absolutely delicious. toast a few pine nuts and throw them on and it's even better. ALmost all spring stuff!

Comment

I was thinking about this all week as I plan my veggie garden for the rest of the year. Here's what I tried and really liked. Cut up your favorites - asparagus, spinach, or whatever you like - and put them into brown rice with the right amount of water in your Instant Pot. Here's how I did it and it was amazing:
        put a tiny bit of olive oil in the pot and use the saute function.
        Lightly cook up any of the veg like asparagus that could use a bit of a hand aside from just boiling. bell peppers and onions do great here, too, even if they're not spring stuff. When they get browned a bit, toss in some minced up garlic and ginger (fresh is better, but if you have to go powdered, go for it, just turn the saute off first so you don't burn it). Turn off the saute after about 30 seconds.
        Add the rice and water. Stir lightly. Turn on the pressure cook or rice cook (whichever feature your machine has and you like) for the appropriate amount of time for the rice you have in there. Enjoy! If you want a bit of extra, sprinkle some parmesan or romano on top once it's ready to serve.

Comment

Working...
        X