​Healthy grilled cheese sandwich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ​Healthy grilled cheese sandwich

I love grilled cheese sandwiches...but let’s face it, the standard grilled cheese sandwich isn’t exactly healthy for you, nor is it low in fat or calories. However, after tinkering with different ideas and doing a search for healthier grilled cheese options online I came across a really awesome one that tastes great and isn’t all that bad for you or your diet goals.

You will need

¼ cup cottage cheese, 1%milkfat
    2 tbs diced tomato
    ¼ tsp basil
    1 tsp of thyme
    Salt & pepper to taste
    1 slice of bread (choose whole grain)

Blend the cottage cheese with all of the seasonings
    Spread cottage cheese mixture over the bread evenly and top it with diced tomato
    Stick the bread under the broiler for 1-2 minutes until it is golden and bubbling.

This is a great snack and sometimes I enjoy it for breakfast or lunch.

That is an AWESOME recipe! Thank you so much Christysmiles. Grilled cheese is one of my favorites but Iv'e been skipping out on them since I've been dieting

Comment

I'm having this for dinner tomorrow. Thanks!

Comment

Mmm that does look good! I never thought of using cottage cheese. That certain is a better option

Comment

Wouldn't the cottage cheese taste weird?

Comment

You know what would make this grilled cheese even better? Bacon LOL. J/K It does sound pretty good...but if you're just sticking it under the broiler wouldn't that be a "broiled cheese"?

Comment

I tried a version of this today. It felt like a kind of mini pizza. I found it very flavorful and was one of the best lunches that I've had in a while. I've been craving something that feels like it is heavy but that actually isn't. The last thing that I want is to pollute my body with the unnecessary saturated fats and sodium of a real pizza. This way I get the best of both worlds. I'm going to try it again tomorrow with a bit of a twist in the recipe and am looking forward to it. Just make sure that you choose organic ingredients if you try this one out because it will be healthier and the flavors will be stronger. At least you'll know that you haven't added poison as one of your ingredients!

Comment

I made this with mashed avocado and salsa instead mmmmmm!

Comment

Yay! I'm so glad that so many of you liked it!! It really is a wonderful and versatile recipe

Comment

This sounds great. I'm going to try it. It seems like such a big hit! I had no idea you could even grill cottage cheese. I think I might make mine a full sandwich though, not just one slice of bread LOL

Comment

This is really great. I made it in my toaster oven instead of heating up the whole regular oven. It's a careful setting of using the broiler for most of it and then using the regular toaster setting for the rest. You can tell how much I like this since i put so much effort into it haha

Comment

Working...
                      X