Steal-cut oats need to be sweeter!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steal-cut oats need to be sweeter!

Hi everyone. I've started eating plain steel-cut oats in the morning cause I'm working on getting more fiber in my diet. The only trouble is I have a hard time eating them without adding sugar because I find them so bland that I just can't eat them. How can I make the oats sweeter and more enjoyable without adding sugar to it?

Ya, no way should you add sugar. That's a really bad idea. Here's what I do to make them better:
    - add a tablespoon of maple syrup
    - add a tablespoon of raw honey
    - add some blueberries while it's REALLY hot and wait until they warm up, then mash them into the oatmeal
    - add cinnamon. For some reason, this makes it taste sweeter. Incidentally, it does the same thing to coffee! Plus cinnamon is really good for your brain. So go nuts with it.
    - add frozen berries that you've nuked to thaw them. They always end up mushy and juicy. Put all the juice into the steel cut oats, too. It just lets the sweetness spread around more
    - add both berries and greek yogurt (plain). It becomes sweeter and creamier
    - don't add nuts. If you want a sweeter bowl, the last thing you should do is add something earthy.

Comment

Wow! Brightstar those are all great ideas that I feel could benefit most cereals! Now I'm going to be the weirdo and asks...what are steel-cut oats? I'm guessing it's some kind of oatmeal but I can't tell you the odd image I have in my mind right now lol

Comment

Holy cow brightstar, I have no idea how I could ever add to that list! I was going to say a touch of molasses, but that sounds lame next to your suggestions haha

Comment

Originally posted by TeensyTiff View Post
          Wow! Brightstar those are all great ideas that I feel could benefit most cereals! Now I'm going to be the weirdo and asks...what are steel-cut oats? I'm guessing it's some kind of oatmeal but I can't tell you the odd image I have in my mind right now lol
          Steel cut oats are just a form of oatmeal, but they're cut differently. Instead of being squashed and flattened like in those oatmeal pouches you see in quick oats or the flavored kind, these look like little tiny pellets. Way better for you.

Comment

Originally posted by brightstar View Post
            Ya, no way should you add sugar. That's a really bad idea. Here's what I do to make them better:
            - add a tablespoon of maple syrup
            - add a tablespoon of raw honey
            - add some blueberries while it's REALLY hot and wait until they warm up, then mash them into the oatmeal
            - add cinnamon. For some reason, this makes it taste sweeter. Incidentally, it does the same thing to coffee! Plus cinnamon is really good for your brain. So go nuts with it.
            - add frozen berries that you've nuked to thaw them. They always end up mushy and juicy. Put all the juice into the steel cut oats, too. It just lets the sweetness spread around more
            - add both berries and greek yogurt (plain). It becomes sweeter and creamier
            - don't add nuts. If you want a sweeter bowl, the last thing you should do is add something earthy.
            Awesome! Thank you so much brightstar!! All these are great ideas Now I'm really excited about the next time I eat steel cut oats

Comment

Working...
            X