cinnamon isn't real cinnamon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cinnamon isn't real cinnamon!

Did you know that unless you get cinnamon labeled as “Ceylon” cinnamon (it's not a brand, it's a form of the spice), the odds are that you’re actually not getting the real thing, no matter what the label says. It tastes the same, but you don’t get the studied health benefits! I've been eating regular cinnamon all this time and thinking I've been doing great things for my health. Nope.

Originally posted by ChefMel View Post
    Did you know that unless you get cinnamon labeled as “Ceylon” cinnamon (it's not a brand, it's a form of the spice), the odds are that you’re actually not getting the real thing, no matter what the label says. It tastes the same, but you don’t get the studied health benefits! I've been eating regular cinnamon all this time and thinking I've been doing great things for my health. Nope.
    Oh my gosh, really? I had no idea there was a difference or that the cinnamon I have isn't giving me any health benefits? So it does absolutely nothing? Is it bad for you?

Comment

Okay, so if the cinnamon most of us eat that doesn't say its "ceylon" cinnamon, isn't real cinnamon...than what is it? Is it like the difference between corn syrup and real maple syrup?

Comment

OK, I actually doubted this was true but I looked it up and it is. Ok so what I learned is that there are actually lots of kinds of cinnamon. They all come from the Cinnamomum verum and originally they all came from Ceylon. That said, "true" cinnamon, the cassia cinnamon, is low in coumarin, which is apparently a good thing. So if you’re looking for “real” cinnamon, look for cassia cinnamon, not Ceylon cinnamon. Cassia cinnamon is darker colored than the normal stuff at the store, it’s less sweet and it has more of a fragrance. It’s also way more expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by brightstar View Post
          OK, I actually doubted this was true but I looked it up and it is. Ok so what I learned is that there are actually lots of kinds of cinnamon. They all come from the Cinnamomum verum and originally they all came from Ceylon. That said, "true" cinnamon, the cassia cinnamon, is low in coumarin, which is apparently a good thing. So if you’re looking for “real” cinnamon, look for cassia cinnamon, not Ceylon cinnamon. Cassia cinnamon is darker colored than the normal stuff at the store, it’s less sweet and it has more of a fragrance. It’s also way more expensive.
          That's really interesting. I guess since it's a lot more expensive it makes sense why it's not the typical product you find on the shelf. If it's more expensive, that also probably means it is more rare or harder to harvest, extract or whatever. Still, I'm glad I know this and I'm going to keep any eye out for it.

Comment

Working...
          X