cereal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cereal

OK so everything I read lately says that breakfast cereal is the enemy. It’s full of sugar, fat and salt. But I love cereal. Are there any good options?

That's a good question. I tend to get a mix of 5 whole grains that I just pour into a bowl like cereal and then I start adding. I add cinnamon, shredded coconut, nuts, seeds, that sort of thing, then put milk on it. It's good like that or heated up like oatmeal.

Comment

Have you ever tried plain steel cut oats and added nuts, fruit, honey and cinnamon to it? This is really good, super high in fiber and really good for you!

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post
        OK so everything I read lately says that breakfast cereal is the enemy. It’s full of sugar, fat and salt. But I love cereal. Are there any good options?
        What type of cereal do you love? It's hard to make recommendations without knowing that only because not all cereal is the same. I like cereal too but I'm someone who prefers a puff or an oat to a flake. That said, a lot of cereal is full of sugar and empty calories but some of it's okay. Definitely stay away from sugared cereal and try to pick the stuff that's pretty plain and high in fiber so you can add fresh fruit to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post

What type of cereal do you love? It's hard to make recommendations without knowing that only because not all cereal is the same. I like cereal too but I'm someone who prefers a puff or an oat to a flake. That said, a lot of cereal is full of sugar and empty calories but some of it's okay. Definitely stay away from sugared cereal and try to pick the stuff that's pretty plain and high in fiber so you can add fresh fruit to it.
          Good point. Also, check the nutrition facts thing and make sure you're getting the right serving size!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KittyKatt View Post

Good point. Also, check the nutrition facts thing and make sure you're getting the right serving size!!!
            I agree with KittyKatt. Check out the nutrition label and compare one cereal you like to the next. And also make sure that you are paying attention the serving size. While some serving sizes for cereals is 1 cup (which isn't bad) many of them are actually less than that, either 1/2 a cup or even as little as a 1/4 cup. That said, unless you're eating copious amounts of cereal and tons of calories from other foods at breakfast, I wouldn't worry too much about what cereal you eat (as long as its not sugared cereal for kids and it has at least some fiber and protein in it).

Comment

is it really possible to feel satisfied by a 1/4 cup of cereal? That seems silly to me. The companies that say a serving size is 1/4 can't possibly expect people to stick to that.

Comment

Originally posted by PamelaPoison View Post
                is it really possible to feel satisfied by a 1/4 cup of cereal? That seems silly to me. The companies that say a serving size is 1/4 can't possibly expect people to stick to that.
                It is silly and they don't expect people to stick to it. In fact, I've found that for cereals that base their nutrients list on a 1/4 cup serving, most of the time the image of the cereal on the box is in a large bowl! The whole thing is so stupid. They need to create nutrients lists based on an actual normal size the average person would eat. Let people see exactly what they're putting in their bodies and make educated decisions with facts we can all understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post

It is silly and they don't expect people to stick to it. In fact, I've found that for cereals that base their nutrients list on a 1/4 cup serving, most of the time the image of the cereal on the box is in a large bowl! The whole thing is so stupid. They need to create nutrients lists based on an actual normal size the average person would eat. Let people see exactly what they're putting in their bodies and make educated decisions with facts we can all understand.
                  OMG that drives me crazy when they have a tiny serving in the nutrient table but the picture on the box is a full bowl. What are they using doll furniture? These are not companies that care at all about their customers

Comment

Working...
                  X