Why are non-local foods less nutritious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are non-local foods less nutritious

I've been wondering something. I get that when you eat local foods they taste better than those that are picked and come from far away, but why should they be any less nutritious? What happens to produce that depletes its nutritional value over time. I guess I'm wondering, if I buy an avacado and don't eat carrots for a week that have been sitting in my fridge for that long, why are they less nutritious than a carrot I'd pluck from the ground? What happens to them that causes them to become less good for you?

I think the nutrients break down over time because the fruit/plant/vegetable is a living thing. It is using up its own nutrients as it ripens and ages. Also, I know that with some nutrients, oxidation also plays a role.

Comment

Originally posted by KittyKatt View Post
      I think the nutrients break down over time because the fruit/plant/vegetable is a living thing. It is using up its own nutrients as it ripens and ages. Also, I know that with some nutrients, oxidation also plays a role.
      Exactly. Organic stuff breaks down over time and loses it's good stuff, think about decay. Obviously plants don't decay in the same way or as quickly as fresh meat would, but essentially the fresher something is, usually the better it is for you, which is why local is always better (if you can't grow it yourself) and if you can't get local, in a lot of cases, buying it frozen is better because lots of frozen fruits and veggies are frozen immediately after being plucked from the ground/plant, etc., locking in their freshness for longer. That said, once you thaw those bad boys you should eat them within a couple of days or you're gonna run into the same nutrients issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post

Exactly. Organic stuff breaks down over time and loses it's good stuff, think about decay. Obviously plants don't decay in the same way or as quickly as fresh meat would, but essentially the fresher something is, usually the better it is for you, which is why local is always better (if you can't grow it yourself) and if you can't get local, in a lot of cases, buying it frozen is better because lots of frozen fruits and veggies are frozen immediately after being plucked from the ground/plant, etc., locking in their freshness for longer. That said, once you thaw those bad boys you should eat them within a couple of days or you're gonna run into the same nutrients issues.
        Well explained. In my opinion it's actually healthier to eat frozen veggies in the winter - or local greenhouse veggies - than it is to get fresh ones imported from thousands upon thousands of miles away.

Comment

Originally posted by brightstar View Post

Well explained. In my opinion it's actually healthier to eat frozen veggies in the winter - or local greenhouse veggies - than it is to get fresh ones imported from thousands upon thousands of miles away.
          So true, but the frozen fruit tastes way better! There's nothing more frustrating than spending a fortune on "fresh" fruit that comes from the other side of the world and it doesn't even taste good!

Comment

Originally posted by KittyKatt View Post
            Interesting thanks! It's stupid, but I never think of plants as living things so I don't think about them as breaking down and losing nutrients.

Speeddemon brightstar thanks! I will actually invest more in frozen fruit this winter. That's really smart and makes sense.

Charlotte you're so right! Where I live when blueberries are in season they are irresistible! But when they're not and they ship them in from other countries, they are more expensive and they just don't taste good at all...they're sour, they're not juicy or just taste bleh.

Comment

Originally posted by TeensyTiff View Post

Interesting thanks! It's stupid, but I never think of plants as living things so I don't think about them as breaking down and losing nutrients.

Speeddemon brightstar thanks! I will actually invest more in frozen fruit this winter. That's really smart and makes sense.

Charlotte you're so right! Where I live when blueberries are in season they are irresistible! But when they're not and they ship them in from other countries, they are more expensive and they just don't taste good at all...they're sour, they're not juicy or just taste bleh.
              LOL well said. It's funny how we think of plants differnetly. I do think of them as losing nutrients, but not until they start to rot. I've never thought of it before the rotten point.

Comment

Working...
              X