Super Pomegranate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Pomegranate

One of the reasons I love this time of year so much is because certain fruits come into season that I find just delicious. Aside from Clementines, my next favorite is pomegranate. This is probably one of the best fruits in terms of being high in antioxidants. It supports the immune system, it lowers cholesterol, reduces blood pressure, and some studies have found it can even help alleviate depression. It’s an awesome fruit and you can eat the seeds on their own – they’re delicious – or you can add them to smoothies, yogurt, salad, use them in sauces, and more. If you haven’t picked on up this year, I highly recommend you do Most supermarkets carry them this time of year.

Pomegranate is a wonderful fruit for health and purifying the whole of your body. It is best when you eat it fresh by cutting up the fruit, yourself and extracting the seeds. Though there are many products that sell pom juice, they do not compare to the whole food. All of the processing necessary in juicing pomegranates causes many of the positive energies and nutrients that are contained within the fruit to be lost. As time goes by, the nutrition and heart of the product fades until you’d be better off eating something fresher but less exotic.

If you mix pomegranate seeds with fresh pineapple and fresh mint, you will be taken to a new plain of existence, that’s how good it tastes and how good it is for you! If you need to reduce the acidity of the fruits, dip them in plain Baltic or Greek yogurt.

Comment

Is there a way to get the seeds out of a pomegranate without getting juice stains on myself and half of my kitchen? Those things always create a disaster when I try to open them up. They look like a murder scene!

Comment

Wear gloves to keep your hands free of stains. I guess you could work on a covered surface or something? I've never had too much of a problem with the juice getting everywhere. Sometimes it gets on my counter top a bit but I just wipe it up right away with a cloth that I don't mind getting stained.

Comment

Originally posted by KittyKatt View Post
          Is there a way to get the seeds out of a pomegranate without getting juice stains on myself and half of my kitchen? Those things always create a disaster when I try to open them up. They look like a murder scene!
          A great way to seed a pomegranate is to cut the top off the fruit (that’s the end that’s got the protruding bit). Score the skin of the pomegranate in quarters from the crown to the stem (do this lightly – a sharp knife works best). Immerse the scored pomegranate in a big bowl filled with cool water and let it soak for 5 minutes. Hold the fruit under the water and break off sections with your fingers. This will help you separate the seeds from the pockets. The seeds should sink to the bottom of the bowl. Throw out the inside flesh of the fruit and drain the water from the seeds and dry them on a paper towel. This should help cut down on mess and make seeds easier to remove.

Comment

JennyR - I've tried doing a method similar to yours, and it just didn't seem to work. I swear, those seeds just don't want to give up the cozy membrane they're nestled into. Another method I've heard about KittyKatt is cutting the fruit in half and whacking the back of the skin with a spoon...honestly, I've not had much luck with that either. I really find scooping them out with a spoon or using your hands is really the only way to do it. At least they taste good lol

Comment

I know this fruit is good for you, but personally I don’t like it. I really hate how the seeds get stuck in my teeth. It’s the same reason I don’t eat raspberries.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                I know this fruit is good for you, but personally I don’t like it. I really hate how the seeds get stuck in my teeth. It’s the same reason I don’t eat raspberries.
                How do the seeds get stuck in your teeth? Aren't they really big?

Comment

Working...
                X