more nutrition from a home garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more nutrition from a home garden

In terms of nutrition value, does anyone know how much more nutrition you get from fruit and vegetables that you grow in a home garden? Is it substantial?

If you eat them shortly after you pick them, the difference is huge. As soon as you pick fruits, vegetables and leaves, they start to lose nutrient value. Many of the foods you get at the grocery store take days or even weeks before even arriving on the shelf, then you buy them, take them home and take days or even weeks before eating them. Each kind loses nutrients at a different rate. And certain nutrients break down faster than others. If you pick lettuce, cucumber, celery, and tomatoes, bring them in, wash them, chop them and eat them in a salad, you just don't get better value than that. Plus, you'll get way better flavor out of it, so you'll enjoy better value from taste, too. You'll need less dressing, salt, or other flavor enhancers because the food will taste so good on its own.

Comment

SO Much more nutrition! Produce at your grocery store is picked before it's ripe so it won't rot before it reaches the shelf. You pick from your garden when things are optimally ripe. Optimally nutritious!

Comment

Originally posted by PamelaPoison View Post
        SO Much more nutrition! Produce at your grocery store is picked before it's ripe so it won't rot before it reaches the shelf. You pick from your garden when things are optimally ripe. Optimally nutritious!
        I was going to say the same thing! The fresher something is, the better it is for you!!

Comment

Also, there's a lot to be said for taste. If your garden veggies taste better than the store (They do!), then you'll eat more of them. Then, regardless of whether they have more nutrition in them (they do!), you'll get more nutrition from them because you're actually eating them.

Comment

Originally posted by ChefMel View Post
            Also, there's a lot to be said for taste. If your garden veggies taste better than the store (They do!), then you'll eat more of them. Then, regardless of whether they have more nutrition in them (they do!), you'll get more nutrition from them because you're actually eating them.
            LOL! OMG that's such a good point. I never thought of it that way, but you're totally right! I definitely feel more inclined to eat things when I enjoy the taste. I mean, does anyone like watery or old-tasteless vegetables???

Comment

Originally posted by Charlotte View Post

LOL! OMG that's such a good point. I never thought of it that way, but you're totally right! I definitely feel more inclined to eat things when I enjoy the taste. I mean, does anyone like watery or old-tasteless vegetables???
              Good point. Plus, how much more likely are you to eat vegetables just simply because you grew them when compared to having bought them. If you've slaved over the **** things for months, you're going to eat them! There isn't any frustration/pride over the green beans you found at the supermarket.

Comment

You can always go to the farmers market if you want the best of both worlds, or for things that are harder to grow. I never have any luck with potatoes, so I just wait for them to be in season locally.

Comment

Working...
                X