Is aquafaba nutritious?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is aquafaba nutritious?

I just found out that a lot of vegans and vegetarians use aquafaba - the juice that comes in canned chickpeas - as an egg substitute for baking and things, such as making meringue, moose and even macarons. I found this fascinating and I was wondering if it's better for you than eggs and what it tastes like. Has anyone ever done this?

Oh I can't imagine using that right now. Maybe it's because it's early in the morning, but that stuff smells so bad. I'm not criticizing anyone who uses it. For me, it will take getting past a (pathetic, really) mental block. I can see how it could be an egg substitute, because of the texture. I'm just always so glad when I've rinsed it away. I need to think about how wasteful I am, it seems!

Comment

I don't think it's better for you than using eggs. I think it's just a good substitute if your vegetarian or vegan. I'm not, so I personally wouldn't go out of my way to eat it. And I agree with you Bethie, the idea of eating it is kinda off putting because I have a hard time with the smell, sight and texture of it every time I open a can. But, hey, if it works, it works, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Bethie View Post
        Oh I can't imagine using that right now. Maybe it's because it's early in the morning, but that stuff smells so bad. I'm not criticizing anyone who uses it. For me, it will take getting past a (pathetic, really) mental block. I can see how it could be an egg substitute, because of the texture. I'm just always so glad when I've rinsed it away. I need to think about how wasteful I am, it seems!
        I can't imagine using that slime can water either...yuck! Seriously, if it works cause you can't/don't want to eat eggs, more power to you, but for me, I don't feel wasteful dumping that smelly ick down the drain. I'll stick to my egg whites, thanks.

Comment

It's low in pretty much everything. Low in calories, carbs, proteins, fats, and any useful nutrients. It's just a gummy substance you can use instead of eggs, but don't plan to get anything else out of it.

Comment

It's low in pretty much everything. Low in calories, carbs, proteins, fats, and any useful nutrients. It's just a gummy substance you can use instead of eggs, but don't plan to get anything else out of it.
            That's exactly it. Eggs are actually better for you. This is really only a good substitute option for people who can't have eggs.

Comment

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what it tastes like? It may provide an egg-like texture, but does it change the taste/smell of recipes that use eggs?

Comment

It apparently tastes just fine once you add all the other ingredients for whatever recipe you're making, because sugar and other ingredients take care of any flavor it might have. The texture seems to be fine, too. Unbaked it can still have a bit of a bean smell and taste. Once baked you can't taste beans but it may (in some cases) still have a bit of a bean smell, but it's super mild. I think I agree with Charlotte. It sounds like a good alternative for people who need an egg alternative, but for those who are fine with eggs...just stick with eggs.

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post
                  It apparently tastes just fine once you add all the other ingredients for whatever recipe you're making, because sugar and other ingredients take care of any flavor it might have. The texture seems to be fine, too. Unbaked it can still have a bit of a bean smell and taste. Once baked you can't taste beans but it may (in some cases) still have a bit of a bean smell, but it's super mild. I think I agree with Charlotte. It sounds like a good alternative for people who need an egg alternative, but for those who are fine with eggs...just stick with eggs.
                  Now I have to try it. I think it's the kid in me that has to do it. I'm grossed out and fascinated at the same time. I need to know what its like when you cook with it. I love eggs so I know they're not going anywhere for me, but I would love to know how this works too. Plus, it would be great to have handy in case I have a recipe that needs 3 eggs and I have only 2 LOL.

Comment

Now I have to try it. I think it's the kid in me that has to do it. I'm grossed out and fascinated at the same time. I need to know what its like when you cook with it. I love eggs so I know they're not going anywhere for me, but I would love to know how this works too. Plus, it would be great to have handy in case I have a recipe that needs 3 eggs and I have only 2 LOL.
                    I hope you'll let us know what you think after you try it. I'm curious!

Comment

LOL! I completely understand your curiosity. If it was something other than beans I would be curious, too. That said, I'm completely fine going through life not knowing what aquafaba baking tastes like LOL. Hope you enjoy it and do let us know your thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post

LOL! I completely understand your curiosity. If it was something other than beans I would be curious, too. That said, I'm completely fine going through life not knowing what aquafaba baking tastes like LOL. Hope you enjoy it and do let us know your thoughts
                        I'm with you. I'll be perfectly happy continuing my life never knowing what that tastes like. I've gone this long without any egg related emergencies. I'll be ok.

Comment

Working...
                        X