Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is cured/smoked meat really that bad for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is cured/smoked meat really that bad for you?

If I eat bacon on weekends and sausage or hot dogs at some point during the week, am I really doing harm to my health? Is it enough to increase my risk of things like heart disease or cancer, or is that just overdone headlines?

You'll be fine. The warnings in the news are pretty much focused on people who eat it once a day, and even then, the health risk increase is so tiny. I recommend reading the Bad Food Bible by Dr. Aaron Carroll. He explains the research very effectively

Comment

once or twice a week should be fine if you're eating healthy enough the rest of the time.

Comment

It's not good for you. Think of it like you'd think of candy or something deep fried. Like anything that isn't really good for you. Just eat it in moderation. Once or twice per week surely wont' poison you.

Comment

Thanks! That's comforting to know that pretty much everyone feels similar. I won't have more than twice a week, but won't worry about it if that's all I have. Thanks everyone. Appreciate it.

Comment

You'll be fine. It's not health food, but it won't do all the stuff the headlines say it will.

Comment

Working...
            X