Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you still get the same nutrients from cooked vegetables?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you still get the same nutrients from cooked vegetables?

I have a question. My friend tells me that you get the same nutrients from cooked vegetables as you do if you were to eat them raw, but I though that this wasn't the case. I thought that when you cooked something you took out some of its benefits. Am I wrong?

No, I don't think you do get the same nutrients in all cases. It's not that they don't offer you any value, but I think when you boil them, for instance, some of the nutrients ends up in the water, so if you dump it out, you're losing it. So if you were making a soup for instance, you'd be fine cause you're still got the nutrients in the broth. However, if you dump the water, your dumping some of the goodness. Instead of boiling, try baking your vegetables or grilling them. They taste great when done this way.

Comment

I think you're right, speeddemon. The key is to make sure that you cook them the right way so that you don't lose all the veggies. One important thing is to cook your veggies as little as possible to reach the texture and taste you like. The less you overdo it, the more you'll get from them. Grilling veggies is great, and steaming is better than boiling.

Comment

Exactly Bethie. It's all about making sure you're not wasting anything. Go ahead and boil your vegetables in a soup or stew, but other wise, grill, bake or steam them. They're not just better for you when you lock in all their goodness, they taste better too, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post
          Exactly Bethie. It's all about making sure you're not wasting anything. Go ahead and boil your vegetables in a soup or stew, but other wise, grill, bake or steam them. They're not just better for you when you lock in all their goodness, they taste better too, in my opinion.
          I agree! I wonder if the nutrients actulaly have a taste or something. If you boil the goodnes out of it, it doesn't taste as good. So maybe vitamins are tasty haha

Comment

Just don't deep fry them haha

Comment

Originally posted by PennyThoughts View Post
              Just don't deep fry them haha
              Haha so true, PennyThoughts...even though I can admit that's how I like them best. Mmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by Bethie View Post

I agree! I wonder if the nutrients actulaly have a taste or something. If you boil the goodnes out of it, it doesn't taste as good. So maybe vitamins are tasty haha
                Maybe they are tasty... but now Penny Thoughts has made me want to eat deep fried veggies. No, actually I could really go for deep friend pickles. Ugh! I'm doomed LOL

Comment

Thanks for all your responses. Hahaha...and now I want deep fried veggies too...mmm tempura vegetables

Comment

Working...
                  X