Has anyone tried soylent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone tried soylent?

I am so curious about the soylent product that is actually real. I have seen a few YouTube videos about it but it’s too expensive for me to want to take a risk on it unless I think its’ actually worthwhile. I don’t want to live off the stuff, but would it make a good meal replacement since it’s supposed to be everything your body needs? Is it gross?

I've never even heard of that? What is it??

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
      I've never even heard of that? What is it??

Essentially it's a meal replacement drink like brighstar said. It's supposed to contain all the nutrients you require to maintain a healthy diet. The same type of nutrition you would get if you were to eat traditional food. It is made up of carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins, minerals, fiber, etc. It comes in the form of powder and is mixed in water. I've personally never tried it because I'm not a big believer in meal replacements.

However, in terms of cost it looks pretty reasonable. The estimated cost is about $3 a meal, which really isn't much and would likely be cheaper than if you were to consume a traditional meal. If you're into meal replacements brightstar, I think you should consider this. It definitely does look a lot better than other similar products on the market. How does it taste? Apparently it has a smooth texture and a delicious flavor...while I've personally never tried it (like I said) some reddit users claim that it tastes something like a vanilla protein shake. Others say it tastes kind-of like a mild cake/cookie dough/pancake batter with a hint of vanilla flavor. While I don't know if I'd call that delicious, I also wouldn't say it's gross.

If you do try it it'll be interesting to see what you think.

Comment

I think this is the sort of thing you should consider only if you were in a bunker because there was a scare for a nuclear holocaust or something like that. Perhaps something you could pack if you thought you might be trapped in the woods? This may claim to contain everything you need in a meal in order to replace "real food", but nothing beats whole foods. If you choose soylent, then you're likely missing out on various balances of nutrition that you could achieve only through a well balanced whole food meal. Consider how many multivitamins are out there and turn out to be the wrong balance or inadequate. Science simply has not mastered what every individual requires in order to be perfectly healthy with every single meal. So there is no reason to think that this concoction should be any different. Even if it is perfect for one person, nothing says it will be perfect for you. We all have different nutritional needs and only real food can cover them.

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post
          I think this is the sort of thing you should consider only if you were in a bunker because there was a scare for a nuclear holocaust or something like that. Perhaps something you could pack if you thought you might be trapped in the woods? This may claim to contain everything you need in a meal in order to replace "real food", but nothing beats whole foods. If you choose soylent, then you're likely missing out on various balances of nutrition that you could achieve only through a well balanced whole food meal. Consider how many multivitamins are out there and turn out to be the wrong balance or inadequate. Science simply has not mastered what every individual requires in order to be perfectly healthy with every single meal. So there is no reason to think that this concoction should be any different. Even if it is perfect for one person, nothing says it will be perfect for you. We all have different nutritional needs and only real food can cover them.

I agree with enviroTodd that's exactly the problem with a meal replacement. No matter what they say, there's no guarantee that you're going to be able to get the proper nutrition you need from this stuff. We don't just have teeth in our mouth for talking and as a form of defense. We're meant to chew food. So, while I don't see there being a problem with having this stuff on occasion, I certainly wouldn't make a lifestyle out of it, and I definitely wouldn't live exclusively off it.

Comment

I've actually tried Soylent brightstar and it's really not bad at all. I definitely wouldn't recommend making a daily diet out of it or following a soylent-exclusive diet or anything (I did that for three days and had enough of it), but every once in a while when I feel I just don't have the time to make a meal or I'm not motivated to do it, I have soylent and am done my dinner in like 5 minutes and there's no mess and no fuss. The taste is fine. Nothing I'd rave about, but it's not gross or anything. I also never had a bad reaction to it (I've heard some people complain about stomach upset). If your'e someone who likes meal replacements, I'd recommend trying it out to see how it works for you. Personally, I think it's one of the best ones out there. That said, I also do agree with envrioTodd and Tony1968 in that I don't believe it's as healthy as whole foods either. It's just the best alternative out there IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by TeensyTiff View Post
              I've actually tried Soylent brightstar and it's really not bad at all. I definitely wouldn't recommend making a daily diet out of it or following a soylent-exclusive diet or anything (I did that for three days and had enough of it), but every once in a while when I feel I just don't have the time to make a meal or I'm not motivated to do it, I have soylent and am done my dinner in like 5 minutes and there's no mess and no fuss. The taste is fine. Nothing I'd rave about, but it's not gross or anything. I also never had a bad reaction to it (I've heard some people complain about stomach upset). If your'e someone who likes meal replacements, I'd recommend trying it out to see how it works for you. Personally, I think it's one of the best ones out there. That said, I also do agree with envrioTodd and Tony1968 in that I don't believe it's as healthy as whole foods either. It's just the best alternative out there IMO.
              After having tried it, could you stand eating only that for the rest of your life? I'm just curious as to whether that's something people would actually want.

Comment

Originally posted by KittyKatt View Post

After having tried it, could you stand eating only that for the rest of your life? I'm just curious as to whether that's something people would actually want.

KittyKatt, I don't know if Teensytiff would ever consider eating it for the rest of her life, but I think lots of people who do try it don't just live off it. I've read that some people use it to replace meals once a day or only on occasion. I really don't think it's something that is safe to live off of and I doubt anyone could do it for an extended period of time. Giving up normal food would be tough LOL!

Comment

Working...
                X