What is a sign of a plateau

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a sign of a plateau

How will I know if I've hit an exercise plateau? Is it just that I'll stop losing weight or are there some other signs to watch for so I can know it's happening?

You'll know if you hit a plateau when you get on the bathroom scale week after week and you see the same number. That's really the only sign because a lot of times a plateau happens when a lot of other things are going on, like you're having a body composition shift (more muscle, less fat) that your scale isn't measuring. So all you see is the same number on the scale even if you're making progress.

Comment

Originally posted by brightstar View Post
      You'll know if you hit a plateau when you get on the bathroom scale week after week and you see the same number. That's really the only sign because a lot of times a plateau happens when a lot of other things are going on, like you're having a body composition shift (more muscle, less fat) that your scale isn't measuring. So all you see is the same number on the scale even if you're making progress.
      That's exactly it and it's really frustrating when it happens but you can't let it get you down! If it happens, change up your exercise and maybe track your calories a little closer. Usually you just need to make a few minor changes to get back on track. What's most important is that you don't give up and stay positive.

Comment

Originally posted by brightstar View Post
        Okay that makes sense. How long does it take for a plateau to go away? Do I really need to make a lot of changes to my diet and exercise to get over the hump?

Comment

Originally posted by WolfMoon View Post

Okay that makes sense. How long does it take for a plateau to go away? Do I really need to make a lot of changes to my diet and exercise to get over the hump?
          Everyone is different. Depends on the reason for the plateau and what you're doing to get past it. If it's water weight, a week or so if you correct it. If it's that your fitness isn't challenging enough anymore, if you make the right changes, a week or two. If you're actually burning fat but building muscle and it's all due to body composition change, it could be anywhere from days to weeks. You're still making progress, you just can't see it in the bathroom scale numbers. Measure different things to find out about that. (arms, neck, middle, hips, thighs, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by KenTraver View Post

Everyone is different. Depends on the reason for the plateau and what you're doing to get past it. If it's water weight, a week or so if you correct it. If it's that your fitness isn't challenging enough anymore, if you make the right changes, a week or two. If you're actually burning fat but building muscle and it's all due to body composition change, it could be anywhere from days to weeks. You're still making progress, you just can't see it in the bathroom scale numbers. Measure different things to find out about that. (arms, neck, middle, hips, thighs, etc)
            That is such good advice. I always forget that there is more than one way to measure your progress. I always get stuck depending on the scale. I know that's silly, but it's true!

Comment

Working...
            X