Background of your update photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background of your update photos

I just discovered I look slimmer if I have a black or blue background in my pictures and I look a lot larger if I have a white background. If you do decide to take pictures of yourself to monitor your progress, pay attention to the background wall color and try to stick to the same one throughout. That way you won’t think you look better or worse just because of the background and not because of the way you actually look.

I thought I was doing well because I always wore the same thing and I tried for the same lighting but then I discovered the wall color was playing a role. There are a lot of factors to consider. Be very careful before you actually trust photos and remember that it’s not really a specific science.

That's really good advice enviroTodd! I never even thought of that, but you're right. I always look like a blimp when I'm near white! Thanks for sharing

Comment

Yessss! That's a genius tip. Aside from color background it's also important to make sure there are no shadows reflecting behind you, as this can also alter the way that you look in a photo (ex. looking bigger or smaller than you actually are)

Comment

OMG enviroTodd you are so smart!!! I totally just looked at previous B&A pics that I've taken of myself and I've always hated some of them and all of this pics were totally taken when I was standing in front of a white/super light colored wall! It's amazing how much color plays a role in the way that we look or perceive ourselves, isn't it? There's always so much to consider when taking a picture.

Comment

@Taranorth - Thanks. Glad I could help. I find that the color you're wearing and the background can also clash. Also, if you're wearing black and are standing in front of a black background, then you're not going to be able to see the difference as much because you'll blend in to your background. The key is to find enough contrast to really see the difference, to be consistent about what you're wearing and what the background is, and to choose a background that isn't too unflattering in the first place.

@JennyR - you're very right about shadows. The last thing you want is to make a lot of progress only to have a shadow make it look like you've grown an extra tire on one side of your body or face.

@BabyButtons - Thank you. I'm very happy to have helped you. I think that's why we need to just consider pictures to be one more tool to help out but not an all-defining measurement. Without a professional studio and photographer with a lot of time to work with, it's difficult to snap the most accurate pictures of yourself time and time again.

Comment

That's very true. I also find that I get far better pictures of myself when I set up my camera and use a timer instead of using a selfie stick. It's too hard to get a good pic of yourself if you're trying to juggle a camera/phone in one hand and trying to pose. How do you take picture enviroTodd? Do you use your phone or a regular camera? I've found a way to prop up my phone and use the timer.

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post
              That's very true. I also find that I get far better pictures of myself when I set up my camera and use a timer instead of using a selfie stick. It's too hard to get a good pic of yourself if you're trying to juggle a camera/phone in one hand and trying to pose. How do you take picture enviroTodd? Do you use your phone or a regular camera? I've found a way to prop up my phone and use the timer.
              Ya selfies with your arm aren't accurate. You need a timer

Comment

I just saw a pic of myself with a shadow behind. It looks like I gained 30 pounds haha

Comment

Working...
                X