I'm an idiot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm an idiot

Dropped my camera in the kitchen sink which was full of water at the time. Does the rice trick work to bring back electronics? I can’t keep up my photo tracking with the same camera if it doesn’t

Aww, that sucks! I think it can in some cases but not all. Even if you fully dry out your camera, it still might not work or be glitchy. You'll just have to try it and see if it's still alright, needs a light repair or if you should buy a new one.

Comment

No. The rice ting doesn't work at all. In fact, you're far more likely to have a better chance drying out your camera by leaving it on a dry surface in the open air. If you want to speed up the process I would recommend adding a fan into the mix for better air circulation. That said, even when it's all dried out, there is no guarantee that it will still work, of course. I hope it does, though. Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by TroyBurger View Post
        No. The rice ting doesn't work at all. In fact, you're far more likely to have a better chance drying out your camera by leaving it on a dry surface in the open air. If you want to speed up the process I would recommend adding a fan into the mix for better air circulation. That said, even when it's all dried out, there is no guarantee that it will still work, of course. I hope it does, though. Best of luck!

Really? Rice doesn't work? But I thought it helps to suck up all the water better and faster. I hope that your camera still works KenTraver. I know how frustrating it can be to drop an electronic you like in water....at least yours went in the sink. I dropped my iPhone in the toilet once....

Comment

The rice trick absolutely works. I've used it on a few devices, I've seen friends use it and I've seen it used by a few YouTubers I like. The trick is NOT to turn the device on while it's wet and, if possible, get the battery out of it. THe less likely there is to be electricity running through it, the more likely you'll get it back. THe rice completely and entirely works in the right circumstances, but it's not a miracle.

Comment

That's so awesome! I'm so glad to hear that it works. I'm definitely going to try that trick if I should ever need it...but hopefully I won't lol

Comment

How do you get the battery out when it’s built right into the device without a little door for it or screws or anything? Do you just leave it in there and hope for hte best?

Comment

Originally posted by PamelaPoison View Post
                How do you get the battery out when it’s built right into the device without a little door for it or screws or anything? Do you just leave it in there and hope for hte best?

That's what I was wondering but I think you do just leave it in their and hope for the best. I think that's why you stick it in rice: to hopefully suck out any water that's in the device in areas you wouldn't be able to dry off. Plus, I don't think I'd want to open the device because I would feel like that would lead to more damage than the water....you really need to know what you're doing when taking it apart.

Comment

Originally posted by TaraNorth View Post

That's what I was wondering but I think you do just leave it in their and hope for the best. I think that's why you stick it in rice: to hopefully suck out any water that's in the device in areas you wouldn't be able to dry off. Plus, I don't think I'd want to open the device because I would feel like that would lead to more damage than the water....you really need to know what you're doing when taking it apart.
                  That makes sense. So it really is the last ditch effort. That's really good to know. I hope I never need to use this hahaha but it is good to know

Comment

Working...
                  X