GAPS diet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GAPS diet

Out of curiosity, does the GAPS diet result in weight loss if you follow it? Wondering because I'm thinking of trying it.

I guess it's possible that it could since it does focus on eliminating foods from the diet that are difficult to digest and that can damage gut flora, so it should be an overall benefit to your digestive tract and system. So, if you combine this with exercise, you might find that you will shed a few pounds. That being said, it's important to point out that it's really designed for people who have chronic inflammatory conditions in the digestive tract. Unless you have a condition like this, you might find that another diet may be more beneficial to help ensure you're getting all the nutrients your body needs and can handle. Diet variety is always better after all.

Comment

It can result in weight loss because it is ultra-low carb. You don't eat grains, potatoes or starches at all on this diet. of course, that's not because it's designed for weight loss, but because it is meant for people with inflammatory digestive health problems. While you would likely lose weight following GAPS I really wouldn't recommend this diet for weight loss because it isn't practical. It's REALLY REALLY hard to follow. You have to make all your food on the diet, including your own bone stock and yogurt! You need to buy organic everything and get unpasteurized meats, etc. It takes a lot of work to follow and there's a very good chance that you're going to require more carbs than what this diet recommends.

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post
        It can result in weight loss because it is ultra-low carb. You don't eat grains, potatoes or starches at all on this diet. of course, that's not because it's designed for weight loss, but because it is meant for people with inflammatory digestive health problems. While you would likely lose weight following GAPS I really wouldn't recommend this diet for weight loss because it isn't practical. It's REALLY REALLY hard to follow. You have to make all your food on the diet, including your own bone stock and yogurt! You need to buy organic everything and get unpasteurized meats, etc. It takes a lot of work to follow and there's a very good chance that you're going to require more carbs than what this diet recommends.
        While I agree with you about initial weight loss as is the case with many low carbohydrate diets, I also agree with you that it's a problem because your body needs more carbs than you might get through GAPS. You will not only find this difficult to follow just like BabyButtons said, but even if you are willing to put in the effort, it will change the way your body functions and processes food. Unless you plan to keep up this diet for the rest of yoru life - and very few people could do that successfully - you're only going to set yourself up for future weight and even potential blood glucose issues if you try to use GAPS for weight loss. THis diet is meant for overcomign certain medical issues. It shouldn't be tampered with if your goal isn't what it was designed to do.

Comment

I don’t get it. What is the GAPS diet? Is it not for losing weight?

Comment

Originally posted by 2strikes View Post
            I don’t get it. What is the GAPS diet? Is it not for losing weight?
            Nope. It's not for losing weight. It is not a diet designed for weight loss. It was created for people who struggle with digestive problems and diseases that effect their GI tract like IBS, colitis, etc. It may also be beneficial for some people who suffer from mental health issues, including autism. As enviroTodd said, it's a diet meant as a lifestyle for those who suffer from medical issues, it's not meant for losing weight. It could end up causing more harm than good for you int he long run if you try to use it for weight loss. Plus, it seriously is realllllly difficult to follow because you need to make everything you eat and you have to make specific things that are time-consuming. Expect to spend your weekends cooking your food for the week. It's worth it if you suffer from medical issues, it's not going to be worth it if you're doing it only for weight loss. There are better and more sensible diets out there for that.

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post

Nope. It's not for losing weight. It is not a diet designed for weight loss. It was created for people who struggle with digestive problems and diseases that effect their GI tract like IBS, colitis, etc. It may also be beneficial for some people who suffer from mental health issues, including autism. As enviroTodd said, it's a diet meant as a lifestyle for those who suffer from medical issues, it's not meant for losing weight. It could end up causing more harm than good for you int he long run if you try to use it for weight loss. Plus, it seriously is realllllly difficult to follow because you need to make everything you eat and you have to make specific things that are time-consuming. Expect to spend your weekends cooking your food for the week. It's worth it if you suffer from medical issues, it's not going to be worth it if you're doing it only for weight loss. There are better and more sensible diets out there for that.
              I'm always amazed with the people who do follow diets like these. I mean, I guess you do what you have to do if you have health problems and you need to heal them. But it is still incredible that I whine about having to boil pasta or make a sandwich and there are people who spend hours and hours putting their careful foods together because that's the only choice they have.

Comment

Working...
              X