confused about keto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• confused about keto

Is keto really bad? I'm hearing mixed things about it, including research. I get that it might be hard to follow, but if you could follow it long-term, it does seem to be ideal for weight loss. Would it truly be harmful to make this a lifestyle?

It's not good. It's not bad. It's unknown. There just hasn't been enough research on it to know for certain. It is known that it can definitely cause weight loss and pretty quickly, too, while eating very low carbs, but lots of fat and protein. Some research has shown it to be good. Some bad. It's too early to tell based on studies. If you do it, you're the guinea pig. That said, a lot of whether it's healthy is based on how you're practicing every day. What carbs are you choosing? Are you focusing on balanced nutrition? Are you just eating a lot of bacon?

Comment

Originally posted by brightstar View Post
      It's not good. It's not bad. It's unknown. There just hasn't been enough research on it to know for certain. It is known that it can definitely cause weight loss and pretty quickly, too, while eating very low carbs, but lots of fat and protein. Some research has shown it to be good. Some bad. It's too early to tell based on studies. If you do it, you're the guinea pig. That said, a lot of whether it's healthy is based on how you're practicing every day. What carbs are you choosing? Are you focusing on balanced nutrition? Are you just eating a lot of bacon?
      You know I never thought of it that way but you're so right brightstar. It's not necessarily that keto is bad, but its the choices you make on the diet with the foods you eat. I mean, eating a lot of bacon is very different from actually following a balanced diet. Both might produce the same results in the short term but over the long term it would be bad for your health...

Comment

That's a good point. I think it has a bad reputation because people are taking the "high fat" factor in a sketchy direction.

Comment

I think it's just bad for you because it's too darn hard to follow to make it good for you. For like a small percentage of people it might work but for the rest of us normals following a keto diet is the same as following any ol' yo-yo diet in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by brightstar View Post
            Thanks! I really appreciate this answer. This has helped to make the diet a lot more sense in my head. Usually I just hear, it's good or its bad...and that just doesn't help. LOL

Comment

Working...
            X