calorie burning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• calorie burning

How many calories does the body burn in a day that you just sit around and are idle all day long?

It really varies depending on gender, age and weight. You essentially need to calculate your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). An example I found on the net is if you're a 35 year old woman and you weigh 155 pounds, the amount of calories you would burn a day without doing much of anything is just over 1,600 calories (including sleep). You can calculate your personal BMR by visiting a site that has one of these calculators for free.

Comment

Originally posted by ChristySmiles View Post
      It really varies depending on gender, age and weight. You essentially need to calculate your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). An example I found on the net is if you're a 35 year old woman and you weigh 155 pounds, the amount of calories you would burn a day without doing much of anything is just over 1,600 calories (including sleep). You can calculate your personal BMR by visiting a site that has one of these calculators for free.

A BMR...I've only heard of a BMI. I didn't know you could calculate how many calories you burn in the day without exercising. That's pretty good to know. That would really help with knowing how many more you need to burn on top of that through exercise to actually lose weight!

Comment

wow! I honestly thought we burned way less calories than that a day. I always though you'd have to exercise to cross the 1,000 mark. That said, I did notice when calculating my BMR that our metabolic rate slows down as we age. That explains why in your twenties you can get away with eating a lot more and slacking off with the exercise and why in your thirties living like that starts to suddenly catch up with you.

Comment

our bodies do burn a surprising amount of calories even when we are doing nothing. It take a lot of fuel for us to run. That said, we certainly do not burn enough to justify not engaging in regular exercise. After all, we do ingest far more calories than we burn off by being idle. However, once you do know how many you burn off by calculating your BMR, you will know how many more you need to burn off through exercise in order to maintain or lose weight.

Comment

I think all of that is really way too complicated for me to understand LOL

Comment

LOL I know what you mean, Chefmel, but there are some good calculators online that do it for you.

Comment

Working...
              X