Good Vegan Diet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Vegan Diet

I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a good vegan diet program for weight loss. I'd like something that eases you into it. I'm not expecting to turn vegan overnight.

Vegan, huh? Are you sure you don't want to try going vegetarian first and see if you can handle that challenge? If you're someone who doesn't just eat meat and dairy but happens to like those things, you're going to find it hard to go vegetarian, nevermind vegan. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, by all means follow whatever diet program you think is best for you, but you really should think about easing yourself in that kind of a lifestyle. It's really not as easy as some people think and if losing weight is already a challenge for you, dramatically restricting your diet and cutting out foods you enjoy may be problematic. I think the best way to work your way vegan is to start flexitarian, then vegetarian then vegan. And remember, there is a lot more to going vegan than simply giving up eating meat and dairy. You also need to make sure you are getting the necessary nutrients you need.

Comment

Instead of trying to follow a specific program, the best way to do it is probably to just gradually start dropping meat, cheese, and other animal based products from your diet as you learn how to replace them. That way, you're not doing it too quickly or too slowly. You're making the change as you understand how to do it right

Comment

Originally posted by KittyKatt View Post
        Instead of trying to follow a specific program, the best way to do it is probably to just gradually start dropping meat, cheese, and other animal based products from your diet as you learn how to replace them. That way, you're not doing it too quickly or too slowly. You're making the change as you understand how to do it right

I agree with KittyKatt. If you are serious about becoming vegan, start off very slow and gradually eliminate animal products from your diet and find the proper replacements. This will help you to not only learn how to make sure you are maintaining the right nutritional balance, but that you are getting your body used to the changes you are making.

Comment

Definitely start off vegetarian before you go fully vegan. You'll likely find vegetarian to be a big enough challenge to start. I agree with the others in that you do need to take it slow. Start by eliminating one animal product at a time. If you do it all at once, you're far more likely to fail because you'll find it too hard to stick with it. Also, definitely speak with a registered dietitian or a nutritionist or a long-time and experienced vegetarian to make sure that you are properly replacing the nutrients you are removing from your diet.

Comment

Maybe give the flexitarian diet a try and move on from there. I once tried to go vegan, but I couldn't even handle being a vegetarian. I just found it to be too challenging and limiting.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I definitely will be starting off slow and I think I might work on eliminating one thing at a time. I don't know if I'll ever be able to go fully vegan, but I think I'll be able to give up meat. I've never been a very big meat-lover anyhow.

Comment

Working...
              X