Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much weight is it safe to lose in a week?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much weight is it safe to lose in a week?

Does anyone know how much weight loss is considered safe for the average person in one week? I’ve seen some pills promise that you can lose over 20 pounds in a month. Is it safe to lose as many as 4 pounds or more a week?

It all depends on certain factors. Such as how much you weigh, your lifestyle, the method you use for losing weight, etc. That said, on average, two pounds every week is usually safe and normal.

Comment

I heard that a rule of thumb is to aim for 1-2 pounds every week. like Speeddemon said, there are some other htings to take into consideration like your starting weight and any health conditions you have, but overall, that's what a typical person can safely lose.

Comment

I agree with the others. up to 2 pounds is normal. You can lose more if you really pushed yourself, but usually pushing your body beyond it's limits really isn't a good idea.

Comment

Thanks. That’s pretty much what I wanted to know

Comment

I think if you're heavier - like if you're obese - you can safely lose more every week

Comment

Originally posted by ChefMel View Post
              I think if you're heavier - like if you're obese - you can safely lose more every week
              I agree with ChefMel. It really depends on how heavy you are to start. Like, if you're obese losing 5 pounds per week instead of 2, shouldn't be all that unsafe. That said, if you really want to know what's healthy for you, I'm sure your doctor could tell you

Comment

Originally posted by jadenmiller
                I feel its vary person to person but 2-3 pounds per 2 weeks is average ratio. Setting realistic goal is most important.
                Very true, jadenmiller. I lose about an average of 3 pounds every two weeks or so. Being realistic about your goal is important, too, or you'll never be able to keep off the weight you do lose.

Comment

Working...
                X