Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much weight can you really lose from walking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much weight can you really lose from walking?

I really like walking, but I'm not sure it's a great weight loss exercise. I want to lose about 10 pounds. Does anyone know how much I'd have to walk in a day and how fast in order to lose the weight?

You'll want to walk a minimum of an hour every day. And I mean power walking not a little stroll. You've got to get your heart pumping and air into your lungs. If you're not feeling the burn after your walk, you're not burning off the calories and fat. How long it will take you to lose 10 pounds depends on several factors, such as what you are eating, how much you are eating, and if you are doing any other exercise in addition to walking. So, depending on your lifestyle it could take you anywhere from one month to 3 months for you to reach your goal. Don't push your body further than its limits. You'll need to take it slow and build your strength and stamina or you'll only enjoy causing yourself injury.

Comment

YOu could do the hour pour walk thing but if you're in the shape I"m in, you'll only be losing weight that way because it'll kill you. I've heard death is a great weight loss program. If you want to get the most out of your minutes, walk in an area that has uphills and downhills. WIth hills, you could walk for 40 minutes (briskly) and you'll lose way more.

Comment

Walk briskly for a half hour every day of the week and reduce your eating. If you've been sedentary and eating badly, it should take you 5 weeks

Comment

Thanks for the tips everyone. I think I've got a good idea of what I need to do. I'll start slow and pick up the pace from there. Morning walking makes sense too. That's actually the time of day I like best

Comment

You can walk more than once a day, too, if you don't have time to do one big huge walk. I don't have a time in my day that I can just go out for a half hour or 45 minutes or whatever and walk around. I do two 20 minute walks. One in the morning, one at my lunch hour. That lets me do all the time I need but not need a single big block. Also, if you walk to a destination then you can multitask: walking and transportation combined!

Comment

That's a good point Bean. To be honest, I'm having a really hard time doing one big walk. I dont' know if it's just because I don't have the energy, the motivation or what. I'll try two walks. I wish I lived in a more exciting neighborhood lol!

Comment

I think anything aerobic is good, but Angus, if you checked out the point of this discussion, it's specifically baby weight. Have you ever had a baby? You're not going to want to be cycling for a while. BTW, you related to Walter125? You've posted on all the same threads as him...look out for him, he's only here to advertise!

Comment

Working...
                X