Skin elasticity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skin elasticity

When you lose weight do you also lose skin elasticity? Or is that something that has to do with aging? Is it possible to improve skin elasticity by strength training?

Skin elasticity isn't lost with weight loss. It's lost through age, photodamage and other factors like that. Problems with skin elasticity are more obvious when you've lost a lot of weight or lose it really fast because your skin doesn't contract as fast as the shrinking happening underneath. So it's like you've let air out of a balloon and you start looking droopy because your outside has been stretched out for a bigger inside.
    Strength training can help improve skin elasticity in the same way that all types of healthy activities will. It's good for your body and blood flow, so it will support healthy skin. However, the difference is minor. The main reason people think strength training boosts skin elasticity is because they build lean muscle, which fills out some areas of skin again. It adds air to the balloon - just happens to be muscle instead of fat this time.
    The main ways to support skin elasticity is to keep up a healthy lifestyle (yes, including exercise) that includes eating a well balanced diet high in nutrients and an appropriate amount of healthy fats. Stay hydrated. This makes a huge difference. Also use the best skin care you can find. I know someone who is young but uses quality natural anti-aging skin care products (good ones, not green washed or "natural" because there's lots of water in the ingredients...) overnight because they're the ones designed to help boost collagen and elasticity to combat wrinkles. So while they may be in their 20s, they're losing weight and want to be sure they don't end up with a sagging face or neck from it. They're using good quality lotions or creams (I can't remember the difference between them) for their body to do the same thing. At night it's especially important. Skin elasticity is an inside-out, outside-in strategy.

Comment

I agree. I think that the best way to maintain your skin elasticity is to lose weight slowly, build muscle, drink water and moisturize. There's nothing that you can do to stop the aging process. You'll lose skin elasticity eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by TracyK View Post
        I agree. I think that the best way to maintain your skin elasticity is to lose weight slowly, build muscle, drink water and moisturize. There's nothing that you can do to stop the aging process. You'll lose skin elasticity eventually.
        Exactly. It just doesn't produce the collagen and elastin it did when you were at your youngest. Without the natural filler and elasticity, it just doesn't have anywhere to go but down

Comment

Originally posted by Whirlybird View Post

Exactly. It just doesn't produce the collagen and elastin it did when you were at your youngest. Without the natural filler and elasticity, it just doesn't have anywhere to go but down
          LOL! Yeah, I guess it's true. Thanks for all the suggestions though. I think I'll try them and hope for the best haha!

Comment

Originally posted by M-Stark334 View Post

LOL! Yeah, I guess it's true. Thanks for all the suggestions though. I think I'll try them and hope for the best haha!
            Doesn't hurt to keep strength training, though. The more you preserve your muscle or build lean muscle, the more your skin will be filled out with a nice shape instead of being filled by body fat or sagging from not having anything underneath to fill it! Good luck!

Comment

Working...
            X