How not to feel like the outsider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How not to feel like the outsider

I do want to lose weight, but no one else I live with either needs to lose weight or is interested in doing it. I'm finding it really difficult to stick to my goal of dropping pounds without the support of anyone else in my life. What are some ways that I can get over this hump and actually stick to losing weight. I used to be able to go to the gym and exercises classes, so it helped being around others with similar goals, but now with COVID I just feel trapped.

Can you buddy up with a friend or family member with similar goals online? That might help. Checking in and supporting each other. Even just talking about the good foods you've prepared or the good choices you've made can help you do it again the next time. If you know you'll be discussing your meal with your buddy, you'll be more likely to avoid overeating or to make good food choices in the first place. It sounds goofy but it really works. Try it for even a week and you'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
      Can you buddy up with a friend or family member with similar goals online? That might help. Checking in and supporting each other. Even just talking about the good foods you've prepared or the good choices you've made can help you do it again the next time. If you know you'll be discussing your meal with your buddy, you'll be more likely to avoid overeating or to make good food choices in the first place. It sounds goofy but it really works. Try it for even a week and you'll see.
      I agree. If the immediate people in your circle aren't doing what you're doing, there are tons of people online who are (like me, Hi! ). There's plenty of support online if that's what you need to stay motivated.

Comment

Originally posted by TroyBurger View Post

I agree. If the immediate people in your circle aren't doing what you're doing, there are tons of people online who are (like me, Hi! ). There's plenty of support online if that's what you need to stay motivated.
        They can be people you've met online and talk to in forums like this, or they can include people who you mainly just talk to on line but who you know IRL. I know people halfway across the country that I find more motivational than people in my immediate circle when it comes to some things. I often find myself talking to them when I need to. I could see myself buddying up with them over a messenger app or whatever. Even a regular Zoom meeting would do it. Check-ins and keeping up the discussion and focus on the subject is often what's needed most. you can get out your wins and fails and just feel like you're working toward something important with someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by brightstar View Post

They can be people you've met online and talk to in forums like this, or they can include people who you mainly just talk to on line but who you know IRL. I know people halfway across the country that I find more motivational than people in my immediate circle when it comes to some things. I often find myself talking to them when I need to. I could see myself buddying up with them over a messenger app or whatever. Even a regular Zoom meeting would do it. Check-ins and keeping up the discussion and focus on the subject is often what's needed most. you can get out your wins and fails and just feel like you're working toward something important with someone else.
          Thanks! I never thought about check-ins and zoom meetings with other people. Since I can't really rely on my immediate family, this is a great option! Thanks for the tips and the support.

Comment

Working...
          X