Motivating others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motivating others

As much as it is important to be your own motivation and to find the places in your life that you know that you will have support, is also important to make sure that you aren’t just focusing on yourself and that you are motivating other people who are hoping to achieve goals that are like yours. That is, that are weight loss and health, for example.

My question has to do with how to actually motivate other people without actually telling them what to do or lecturing them. It isn’t as easy as it sounds. As soon as you start to say something supportive, it is really easy to start to give advice and making suggestions, especially when you have been dieting for a while and you feel like you are getting good at it.

Just talk like a normal person with them. It's not up to you to direct them unless they ask

Comment

Instead of telling them what you think, find out what they think.The best way to motivate others is to find out what would motivate them. Ask them instead of guessing. Communicating really is best.

Comment

Maybe let them know what you hope to achieve, let them know how you intend to achieve it and let them know they are welcome to join you if they are interested. If you remain positive about what you are doing and always let them know they are welcome, hopefully this will inspire them to join you.

Comment

I have found that when i show a genuine interest in what inspires other people and let them express their goals 2 me & then i share my goals with them i get a positive response. Since u cant change someones mind all u can do is encourage them when they think about doing it and support them when they do even if they fail.

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post
            I have found that when i show a genuine interest in what inspires other people and let them express their goals 2 me & then i share my goals with them i get a positive response. Since u cant change someones mind all u can do is encourage them when they think about doing it and support them when they do even if they fail.
            That is a very good point, BabyButtons. Thank you for sharing it with me. You’re right, when other people show an interest in what i’m doing I do feel motivated to continue. This is especially true when I am not feeling entirely confident or secure in whatever I have taken on. I hadn’t really thought of it that way. I tend to be the type of person who likes to advise in order to show support. It’s my way of showing that I’m paying attention and that I’d like to contribute to the success of the person. But just showing genuine interest is certainly the key I was looking for.

Jokerzwild, that is also a good point. That way, I can still offer the type of assistance that I have, but I can do it in a way that makes it seem as though they are joining me and not following me.

TeensyTiff, that’s a very good point and it’s one I know I need to practice but I still struggle with it. I tend to seem more like I am grilling people than asking questions out of curiosity and support!

Comment

Working...
            X