Does losing weight slow aging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does losing weight slow aging?

Will I age more slowly once I’ve reached my weight loss goal or are they unrelated?

I honestly don't think you'll age at a slower rate, and you certainly won't repair any age "damage" that's already been done. That said, if you lose weight in a healthy way by improving your diet and exercising, you'll be healthier and have a stronger immune system, which definitely will work in your favor by improving the look and feel of your skin, hair, etc.

Comment

I don't think they are unrelated. I think that you will age slower if you lose weight (as long as you do need to lose weight) because you'll be healthier. When you take stress off your body by reducing the amount of weight you have to carry around and if you eat well and are getting proper rest, your body will stay stronger for longer.

Comment

It depends on how you see it. If your weight loss promotes better energy flow because you start eating a more nutritious diet, you reduce the risk of certain different health problems - including premature skin aging - then you may be able to slow the aging process. I also think the same can be said if you introduce regular exercise and continue that over time. What you've done for the purpose of losing weight can also help you to reduce the pace of aging.

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post
          It depends on how you see it. If your weight loss promotes better energy flow because you start eating a more nutritious diet, you reduce the risk of certain different health problems - including premature skin aging - then you may be able to slow the aging process. I also think the same can be said if you introduce regular exercise and continue that over time. What you've done for the purpose of losing weight can also help you to reduce the pace of aging.

I couldn't agree more enviroTodd, that's exactly how I see it. I think it can slow aging but I also don't think it works miracles. Like I don't think if you suddenly start taking good care of yourself and losing weight that you're miraculously going to look 10 years younger. At the same time, I think it can help preserve the age you are now and keep you young for longer. Healthier skin, healthier hair and less weight (if you're carrying around a lot of extra) will certainly keep you looking younger for longer

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post

I couldn't agree more enviroTodd, that's exactly how I see it. I think it can slow aging but I also don't think it works miracles. Like I don't think if you suddenly start taking good care of yourself and losing weight that you're miraculously going to look 10 years younger. At the same time, I think it can help preserve the age you are now and keep you young for longer. Healthier skin, healthier hair and less weight (if you're carrying around a lot of extra) will certainly keep you looking younger for longer
            Yes, that's precisely it. The preservation of your current appearance is the main goal of anti-aging. That said, if you do have drooping skin or limp and dull hair or other similar symptoms associated with aging but if they're the result of dehydration or low nutrition or even improper skin care then you can change that for the better. The issue is that it will be a very gradual improvement. Commercials for products that claim to have an array of benefits do us all a disservice when they say you'll get nearly immediate results. They may only be referring to moisturizing and they may actually indicate that you need to use it over time to get all the benefits but that's certainly not the main focus in commercials. It leads us to believe we can reverse years of bad nutrition and dehydration by putting a cream on our faces. I don't think any topical product could ever do that.

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post

Yes, that's precisely it. The preservation of your current appearance is the main goal of anti-aging. That said, if you do have drooping skin or limp and dull hair or other similar symptoms associated with aging but if they're the result of dehydration or low nutrition or even improper skin care then you can change that for the better. The issue is that it will be a very gradual improvement. Commercials for products that claim to have an array of benefits do us all a disservice when they say you'll get nearly immediate results. They may only be referring to moisturizing and they may actually indicate that you need to use it over time to get all the benefits but that's certainly not the main focus in commercials. It leads us to believe we can reverse years of bad nutrition and dehydration by putting a cream on our faces. I don't think any topical product could ever do that.

I agree enviroTodd. Any positive change you'll experience by engaging in anti-aging methods is gradual and also requires consistency. Hydrating, eating a good diet full of nutrients and moisturizing your skin will definitely help to improve the look and feel of your skin, however, you shouldn't expect miracles either. It's not like you're going to go from looking how you are now to a photoshopped picture lol.

Comment

Originally posted by suzieQ View Post

I agree enviroTodd. Any positive change you'll experience by engaging in anti-aging methods is gradual and also requires consistency. Hydrating, eating a good diet full of nutrients and moisturizing your skin will definitely help to improve the look and feel of your skin, however, you shouldn't expect miracles either. It's not like you're going to go from looking how you are now to a photoshopped picture lol.
                I agree. It's not going to look like you had plastic surgery so you change things and BOOM you're younger. But over time, there can be definite visible improvements

Comment

Also don't lose too much weight because I find people who are underweight look older than they really are!

Comment

Working...
                  X