Watch Your Salt Intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch Your Salt Intake

Sometimes, we're so obsessed about watching how much sugar, fat, calories, etc, are in the foods we eat, that we forget about how much salt/sodium has been added, as well. I read that the average American consumes twice the amount of salt they need in a day.Salt can lead to weight gain, bloating and other not so pleasant side effects. It can also make you hungrier and thirstier, adding water weight to your fat weight. So, the next time you pick up the salt shaker, pause a moment and really think about how much slat is already in the food you're eating. At first you might find a lot of food bland when you stop adding the extra salt, but give your taste buds time to adjust and you will start tasting flavors you didn't even realize were there because the salt was overpowering them.

That's very true. I know I eat way too much salt. I was actually shocked at how much salt are in products that are super sweet, like cola for instance. It just tastes sweet to me, but in addition to all of the sugar there is a lot of salt. I've also started noticing that a lot of the foods I eat contain MSG Monosodium Glutimate. It's a great flavour enhancer but it makes foods super salty. I have noticed that after I eat foods with MSG, not only do I not feel so great, in a couple of hours I'm really hungry again...that and I'm so thirsty I could drink a gallon of water!

Comment

A very wise tip indeed Christysmiles. I myself am guilty for over dosing on salt. It really is in everything, even when you can't really taste it. Prepackagd foods, deli meats, canned foods and preservatives are notorious for having loads of salt. It is definitely a good idea to check out food labels to find out how much salt is in what you are eating.

Comment

For those of us trying to lose weight, this is veyr important, too. It's not just for health - which is really important - but also that salt causes us to retain water. You might actually be thinner than you think but your'e just holding onto way too much water because of the salt you're eating!

Comment

Originally posted by Charlotte View Post
          I have noticed that after I eat foods with MSG, not only do I not feel so great, in a couple of hours I'm really hungry again...that and I'm so thirsty I could drink a gallon of water!
          I know what you mean! that stuff is freaky. I really hate it when a product says things like "no salt added" in it and they've jacked it full of MSG. I've really started watching labels for that. There really isn't any company you can trust anymore with that sort of information. You have to do your own research.

Comment

Ya, salt is bad. I can't believe how much salt is in pre-packaged food. I do understand that some stuff has to be preserved and needs flavour...but there's a happy medium. I'm starting to buy thins that have half the salt and am much happier with them. I'm also discovering that by lowering my salt, I'm finding certain things I used to eat that have a lot of salt way too salty.

Comment

I personally love salt. I know it’s not good for me but it is probably my biggest weakness. Some people can sit down and enjoy a good chocolate bar, for me, give me a bag of plain salty chips and I am in my happy place. I even like MSG. I know, it’s terrible for me, but I like it. That said, I do watch how much I ingest. It is really, really terrible. Too bad the stuff that tastes to good has to be so bad!!

Comment

Originally posted by jadenmiller
                I think Salt does not cause your body to gain or lose fat. It has no calories. High consumption of salt only results in temporary weight gain as it causes your body to retain water.
                That's a very good point, jadenmiller. The weight gain that you appear to have after eating salt is from water retention. It goes away once you get hydrated again.

One bad thing about salt (alright, another bad thing other than the ones that everyone else has pointed out) is that when food is salty, you're more likely to eat more food! It makes you inclined to keep munching, even after you'd usually be full. Be extra vigilant about watching portion size when you're eating salty foods.

Comment

Working...
                X