Don't Obsess over weight during the pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Obsess over weight during the pandemic

We're all finding our way right now. When your life has been turned upside down and stress levels are high the last thing you need is to obsess over the fact that you didn't lose a pound this week. It's time to be realistic. While we shouldn't just eat everything we can at all times, it's also time to give ourselves a break from the weight obsession. Focus on a bit of body positivity. Instead of deciding whether or not you like the way you look, be awed at what your body is doing for you. Don't focus on what you don't have. Focus on what you do have. You might even find that it inspires you to do some good for yourself - even if that just means eating two cookies instead of three

Thanks for posting this. I feel the same way. I've been noticing on social media that there's been a lot of memes and jokes about weight and it's kinda starting to annoy me. Right now we need to focus on being positive, not commenting on how we're afraid to step on the scale and talking about being COVID fat and all this other nonsense...

Comment

Originally posted by Bethie View Post
      We're all finding our way right now. When your life has been turned upside down and stress levels are high the last thing you need is to obsess over the fact that you didn't lose a pound this week. It's time to be realistic. While we shouldn't just eat everything we can at all times, it's also time to give ourselves a break from the weight obsession. Focus on a bit of body positivity. Instead of deciding whether or not you like the way you look, be awed at what your body is doing for you. Don't focus on what you don't have. Focus on what you do have. You might even find that it inspires you to do some good for yourself - even if that just means eating two cookies instead of three
      You said it Bethie! At the moment, being happy with yourself and finding ways to stay positive really is what's important. Forget about the scale if you want to forget about the scale. Eat a cookie if you want a cookie. You can make yourself happy without being ridiculous with your diet. Part of being healthy is being happy and if that extra cookie makes you happy. I say have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post

You said it Bethie! At the moment, being happy with yourself and finding ways to stay positive really is what's important. Forget about the scale if you want to forget about the scale. Eat a cookie if you want a cookie. You can make yourself happy without being ridiculous with your diet. Part of being healthy is being happy and if that extra cookie makes you happy. I say have it.
        It's true! I mean, don't just use this as an excuse to eat ONLY cookies for weeks and weeks. But if I want a cookie right now - or even two - I'm going to have them. If I want a cookie AND a snack cake for dessert (especially on the weekend) I'm going for it. I'm not going to poison myself with sugar and destroy my motivation, but more deprivation feelings right now will do that anyway. I'm finding a balance of treats without worrying about weight right now. My goal is more of a maintenance or slowing the gain instead of trying to lose it as fast as I can.
        I hope you're staying good and healthy these days,too.

Comment

Exactly, it's a time for giving yourself a break without being stupid about it. Giving yourself a break isn't the same as giving yourself an excuse to go out of your way to eat poorly. I'm staying good for the most part. There are days where I feel fed up with it all, but mostly I'm just doing the best to stay positive and find pleasure in the small things like mostly everyone else. That said, I'm definitely feeling happier now that the weather is improving. Being able to sit outside in my backyard is a plus. Hope you're good and healthy, too, Bethie!

Comment

I'd love to say that I agree, but I seem to be an all or nothing person. I either am under control in a very reasonable way, or I just let loose and eat whatever I want whenever I want. Once I stop following rules for eating, it's like I've been given a free pass for everything. I need to either stick to it throughout all this or give up altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by KraftMan View Post
              I'd love to say that I agree, but I seem to be an all or nothing person. I either am under control in a very reasonable way, or I just let loose and eat whatever I want whenever I want. Once I stop following rules for eating, it's like I've been given a free pass for everything. I need to either stick to it throughout all this or give up altogether.
              Me, too! I've been going overboard in terms of what I eat, and I just don't care. Yeah, I'm putting weight on and it's bothering me, but not enough to stop doing what I'm doing. Like you KraftMan I'm either committed to a diet or I'm not, there is no half-way control for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlotte View Post

Me, too! I've been going overboard in terms of what I eat, and I just don't care. Yeah, I'm putting weight on and it's bothering me, but not enough to stop doing what I'm doing. Like you KraftMan I'm either committed to a diet or I'm not, there is no half-way control for me.
                That's how I feel. I do care, but not enough to make the kind of changes I'd need to make to stop it. My goal now is to reduce my weight gain instead of trying to lose weight.

Comment

Working...
                X