Get to know yourself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get to know yourself

I’ve found that trying to lose weight is a real lesson in self discovery. I have learned a lot about my personal habits, preferences, expectations, and a lot of other things just through having had to discipline myself and break a lot of my bad habits. It’s surprising how many terrible eating and exercising habits i had without even knowing it! The thing is that hte more I learn about myself, the more I discover ways that I can diet more effectively because I can figure out the best strategies and choose the right plans. I just thought I’d share that in case it helps someone else.

That's great to share, Bethie. It is important to find out who you are and not base your weight loss goals on anyone else. When you now what you can accomplish and handle and when you know your bad habits, you will make decisions that are right for you. Weight loss really is all about you, it's not about anyone else.

Comment

A very good tip Bethie! Since you are losing weight for you, you need to find out what works for you. Listen to your body and know your bad habits. You’ll never have self-control if you don’t know what you are supposed to be controlling!

Comment

That is exactly the attitude you need to have when you approach weight loss. Great tip Bethie. In this case, you need to pick your brain and figure out what works for you, not “eat” it

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post
          That is exactly the attitude you need to have when you approach weight loss. Great tip Bethie. In this case, you need to pick your brain and figure out what works for you, not “eat” it
          LOL You need to warn me when you're going to say a joke like that, Speeddemon, I almost choked on my coffee while I was reading it!

I guess that's something new that I have learned about myself. I know my snacking weaknesses and I know that I shouldn't sip my drink when I'm about to start reading something that you have posted

Comment

LOL. Next time I'll give you plenty of warning Bethie. I've got a snacking weakness too. My biggest problem isn't that I snack, but what I choose to snack on. I really like salty snacks and I'm prone to eating a bag of chips or sitting down with some peanuts instead of eating a plate of veggies or some other low-cal good for you snack. I'm pretty good with my major meals, but snacking really is a killer. I'm just not the kind of guy who gets an afternoon craving for a handful of grapes or carrot sticks LOL. What were you having for a snack that I almost made you choke on?

Comment

LOL thanks Speeddemon. I appreciate it. I know what you mean about the choice of snacks being a problem. It's just that healthy food usually takes some kind of prep and when I want to snack, I just want to grab a bag of something yummy and have that right away. I don't want to peel carrots etc.

Comment

Exactly. When I'm motivated I tend to prepare a bunch of healthy foods I can eat as snacks in advance. That way they are ready for me to grab when I want them. I don't do that enough though. Lately I've got a thing for applesauce.

Comment

I do too, Speeddemon! I swear you're reading my mind. Only an hour ago, I went to the store and, on impulse, bought those little cups of unsweetened applesauce! It's so strange that you just said that. I have also started making plain popcorn as a snack, even though I haven't eaten popcorn in a year or two. It's too bad that popcorn doesn't taste as good when it's cold. It would be so convenient to put it in little baggies so I could grab it when I want it, like I would with chips.

Comment

Oh ya, popcorn. I forgot all about that. I should remember that the next time I shop. That would be a good snack. Sometime I eat rice cakes too. They're a little dry, but they do in a pinch. It's really not easy to find a variety of quick to grab healthy snacks that are pre-made. So much of the "healthy" snack foods on the market are loaded down with crap. Even the "low fat" ones are just chalk full of sugar. Maybe I should start my own healthy snack-making business and produce products that are good for you, low in calories and don't suck. What do you think, Bethie? You in?

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post
                      Oh ya, popcorn. I forgot all about that. I should remember that the next time I shop. That would be a good snack. Sometime I eat rice cakes too. They're a little dry, but they do in a pinch. It's really not easy to find a variety of quick to grab healthy snacks that are pre-made. So much of the "healthy" snack foods on the market are loaded down with crap. Even the "low fat" ones are just chalk full of sugar. Maybe I should start my own healthy snack-making business and produce products that are good for you, low in calories and don't suck. What do you think, Bethie? You in?
                      I just can't seem to get into rice cakes. The ones that are plain stick to my mouth and I find them hard to swallow, but the ones that are flavored have too much sugar in them so they don't go with my diet. I've started eating mushrooms and grape tomatoes a lot for snacks since they don't take a lot of prep.

You're right about the "healthy" snacks really being junk, though. Alright, let's go into business together and take over the healthy snack world haha! Do you think it's possible to make amazing diet- friendly no- junk cheesecake

Comment

Ya you need to have a seriously wet mouth for rice cakes. Luckily I don't mind the sugar ones, particularly caramel...they don't clash with my diet Hmmm a "no-junk" cheesecake. I like it. The name is great too. Sure, I say we start with that one and work our way up to "no-crap" cookies. What do you think we should call our business?

Comment

I like the caramel ones, too. They taste like caramel corn, a little. But I find that they're not quite good enough to make them worth all the extra sugars. I'm not on a zero sugar diet or anything but I'm definitely trying to cut back on those even just for health reasons.

LOL no crap cookies. That's funny. I guess we could polish off the product line with no- garbage brownies We could call ourselves the no- nonsense bakery! Of course, it would take a miracle to actually make those products, but still, the idea is good!

Comment

Working...
                          X