Don't weigh yourself all the time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't weigh yourself all the time

When losing weight, it is important that you do not weigh yourself all of the time. We all like to see how much we have lost and tracking your weight sure can be a motivator, but at the same time it can also have a negative impact on your goals if you are not careful. It can be very discouraging to not see your weight declining, especially if you weigh yourself daily. It is best to weigh yourself once a week.

Good advice Lady Greenfairy. I used to weigh myself all the time, every day, in the morning and at night. At first I loved seeing the weight come off but when it didn't or when I would regain a pound I was feeling discouraged with my weight loss goals and instead of feeling motivated I just didn't want to do it anymore and I got really self-critical. Now I weigh myself once every week to get an idea of where I am. I'm much happier this way. I'm not ruled by my scale anymore.

Comment

I agree that weighing yourself once a week is a good idea. Any more than that and you likely won't find that you have undergone much progress.

Comment

If you weigh yourself twice per week are the results accurate? I feel impatient to measure results when I'm dieting

Comment

I think that the best timing is to weigh yourself one time every week. Weigh yourself on the same day, right at the beginning of the day. The best time is if you shower first thing in the morning, weigh yourself first (otherwise the heat/steam from the shower could make the scale inaccurate. Always weigh yourself before you start eating in a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
            I think that the best timing is to weigh yourself one time every week. Weigh yourself on the same day, right at the beginning of the day. The best time is if you shower first thing in the morning, weigh yourself first (otherwise the heat/steam from the shower could make the scale inaccurate. Always weigh yourself before you start eating in a day.

I agree with Bonnie. It is always best to do it in the morning before you eat and you should only do it once a week. If you weigh yourself more than that and you are likely to lose sight of your goals.

Comment

Weighing yourself too often will become discouraging because eventually you will plateau and when you do and you don't see those pounds coming off, you're going to feel a little down due to your lack of progress. Don't give up! If you are keeping up with your healthy eating and your exercise, chances are you are building muscles in place of the fat. Remember, muscles have weight too. Also, remember that if your current exercises are easy to accomplish, you're likely only maintaining your progress. If you want to be even more fit, you'll need to keep challenging yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by JennyR View Post
                Weighing yourself too often will become discouraging because eventually you will plateau and when you do and you don't see those pounds coming off, you're going to feel a little down due to your lack of progress. Don't give up! If you are keeping up with your healthy eating and your exercise, chances are you are building muscles in place of the fat. Remember, muscles have weight too. Also, remember that if your current exercises are easy to accomplish, you're likely only maintaining your progress. If you want to be even more fit, you'll need to keep challenging yourself.
                You're right! If you plateau, weighing yourself once a week is bad enough. If you weigh yourself every two days or every day, that plateau is going to feel like it goes on forever!

Comment

Working...
                X