Going Gluten-Free isn't a good idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going Gluten-Free isn't a good idea

Lately, I've heard a lot of my friends talking about going gluten-free and how by cutting gluten out of their diet they feel so much better. Some of my friends have decided to cut it out of their diet not just for health purposes but also to lose weight and what some of them found was that they started to gain more weight instead of losing it. Why? Because unless you make all of your meals from scratch, pre-packaged gluten-free foods are actually high in sugar and fat. Therefore, unless you have Celiacs disease or you have serious sensitivities to gluten, cutting gluten entirely from your diet is not necessary and it is not a great idea either. Don't forget that when an ingredient is taken out of a product, something else is added to replace it and that something else may not always be good for you. By all means, lower the amount of gluten you eat, but if you think that by cutting all of it from your diet is going to help you lose weight, you'll likely be very disappointed AND miserable when you discover it's really hard to follow a restrictive diet.

I do think that it's a good idea to lower the amount of gluten I eat, because I think I and likely a lot of other people consume way too much of it, but at the same time I'm not a big no-carbs supporter. I think cutting Gluten entirely out of your diet is far too extreme and likely will end up causing more problems than not. Like everything, gluten should be consumed in moderation. Too much isn't good for you, but too little or none at all isn't doing you any favors either.

Comment

I agree with you. Gluten isn’t the enemy unless you have a sensitivity like if you have celiac disease. All you’re doing is making it a lot harder to be able to eat a well balanced diet and you risk doing it wrong and ending up with deficiencies.

Comment

I have a friend who has celiacs and I've had a few of her gluten-free snacks. They were good, but wow, when I read the ingredients and contents I was stunned by what was inside! They were high in sugar and fat.

Comment

Working...
        X